Sunday, October 22, 2023

She Flew Around the World

Hi everyone. I hope you are having a nice weekend. We're getting a lot of rain and dark skies; this weekend is pretty much a washout. Today will be a good day to either make some art or relax with a book. 😀 I'm ready to enjoy a lazy day at home since the last few days have been busy with one thing or another.

. I have another journal page for Neet's challenge at Art Journal Journey. You probably know by now her challenge is  In Gear.


Do you notice the gears on my background paper?  This light cardboard was actually part of the packaging for the stencil that I used to make all of the black painted images you see on my page. I thought this part of the packaging worked great for Neet's challenge. I particularly like the stencils too (which is why I bought it-smile), so I used them to stencil the plane (3 times), the quote (basically 3 times) and the London style postmark (once). The top quote hadn't quite dried, and I hit it with my hand, so it got a bit messy, but not so messy I had to give up on this page.

To finish my page I cut the woman out of a sheet of paper, added a vintage postage stamp from my stamp stash (I was a big stamp collector as a kid and still have an old box full), and then took 3 chipboard gears I had. I first painted those gears with black paint, then a very light coat of copper paint, and finally I rubbed some rusty brown ink on them once all the paint was dry. Finally I added some tiny little silver dots (for lack of a better word) to my page to finish it off. 

I am linking up to Gillena's Sunday Smiles
And that's my post.

Enjoy what's left to your weekend, and have a great start to the new week.



24 comments:

Hels said...

I enjoyed the tiny little silver dots added to finish off the page. As I tell my granddaughters, decoration can be modest but still effective.

Tom said...

...I remember when lying was fun!

kathyinozarks said...

love your page no rain here yet-it's coming though
Kathy

David M. Gascoigne, said...

I suspect that many have stamp collections from childhood lurking in the house somewhere. These days the stamps are all of the peel and stick variety so probably not good for a philatelist. Great for crafters, though! Hugs - David

Rezky Pratama said...

in my country, there are no rain nowadays,
i hope it's gonna rain

Christine said...

Subtle take on gears very nice!

Angie's Recipes said...

We too have lots of rain...had to stop our walk halfway this morning as it rained really hard. A nice page, I like the contrast of deep blue and black.

Jeanie said...

I always enjoy hearing about your process. I should send you some stamps!

Mae Travels said...

Everyone likes to fantasize that their piles and hoards of old used stamps will some day yield a hugely valuable one, lurking in all the detritus. I wonder what will become of the serious stamp collecting hobby now that kids have so much else to amuse them.
best, mae at maefood.blogspot.com

Gillena Cox said...

There is an Atlantic Storm.in the vicinity
So yes lots of thunder lightening heavy rain as i write

Thanks for linking to SundaySmiles

Much💛love

Aimeslee Winans said...

I sent you two emails this morning, one about the reinking and the other is my Lyle Lovett story.
Fabulous rust effects on the chipboard gears and a wonderful page for Neet. I criticize myself for being such a slow creator, but one good benefit is that my stuff has a chance to dry thoroughly. ;-) I have to walk away regularly to go stretch or medicate because of pain.
Sorry to hear you are having bad weather. I've not kept up with national weather or Europe's since Hamas attacked, completely missed the Babet storm woes in UK. There's another stupid hurricane in the Atlantic, Tammy I think. Hopefully it will die a nice death on it's way to Bermuda. Have a great Sunday, xoxo

Anne (cornucopia) said...

This is fantastic!

Are you getting the "warm up" later this week? It's going up to about 68 F where I am in CT. (I planted some grass seed recently, so the rain and warmer temperatures will help it grow, I hope.) - Anne (Cornucopia)

Caty said...

Ohh this Art page is Wonderful Erika ! Loove the blue paper, and the stencils are so beautiful, specially the plane one. Interesting stamp and the gears are magnifique.
It will perhaps rain by here, perhaps, because we don´t always believe the weather man :)
I wish you a great new week, and send big hugs
Caty

Neet said...

Not wishing to be controversial the weather here in the north of England, for once, has been fairly nice. In fact it was a lovely sunny day today and I really did not need a jacket on when I went to the local garden centre. Sorry.
But your page is lovely and I think the slight smudge at the top adds to it, its the fuel from the plane that hit the words. Your young lady really looks the part, the type that would fly around the world,wonder what she was searching for?
I can understand you buying that stencil, it's produced some great images and the postage stamp, the gears and the silver studs all add to this page for me.
Thanks for a different page but still showing gears in different ways for my theme at AJJ. I love it.
Hugs, Neet xx

CJ Kennedy said...

I love the colors of the page. The only thing flying around here is Himself's ghostie got knocked over by the wind. I hope you had a good weekend.

Divers and Sundry said...

Send some of your rain down this way lol I'm not used to having to water this late in the season

ashok said...

Nicely done page

Iris Flavia said...

Beautiful page, hugs!

Valerie-Jael said...

Wonderful page, love the blue background. Nice to see London airmail, too! Hugs, Valerie

sirkkis said...

How nice we both have been in the air with our brave women 😊 Your page is well created👍
Have a wonderful week 😘

Cloudia said...

Oh I like your art page very much! Yes, Monday is a good day to chill at home. Lucky we can! Aloha friend

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

Love your take Neet's theme at AJJ. Nice use of recycled materials, too.

craftytrog said...

A wonderful page Erika! What a great use you made of the stencil packaging. It's a great stencil too :-)

pearshapedcrafting said...

What a fabulous page. I love it when packaging is useful in my art! It's good to have a rest sometimes, hugs, Chrisx