Thursday, October 12, 2023

Some Sewing

 Hi everyone. Happy Thursday.

Today would have been my mother's 94th birthday. In honor of my Mom, I thought I'd share some sewing I've been doing. She's  the one who taught me to sew, and even  though she taught me this skill so I could make clothes, I really don't enjoy that kind of sewing.  I used to make a lot of my clothes back in my teens and 20's, but  now I much prefer to do more creative sewing.

Right now I am working on a cloth book about autumn. Here's a few snippets of my messy sewing. By the way,  I just love messy sewing, and it's how I sew best too.  GRIN!


When I started sewing this top page, I ended up making the fabric a bit wrinkly. I should have put some interfacing behind it before I went to my machine. My bad- 😕 I don't like wrinkly fabric even if I like messy stitches., but I'll get it squared away when I sew the fronts and backs of my book pages together.


This above photo is part of a page with an abstract flock of birds, and below is a peek of one of my favorite pages that has a big sunflower. The sunflower was from a set of felt "crating additions" that I bought. It had a sticky on the back that I peeled off, and then I added lots of glass glitter (something that was big long ago) into the center.











I'm not finished yet so what you see is incomplete. I still have some beads and other mixed media bits and pieces to add. I also need to sew my pages together and bind this book. There will be more to come in future posts.

Let me finish up today's post with a few more photos from my visit to Bedrock Gardens last week. As I mentioned yesterday, I went by myself  because I really wanted to take some photos and not get bogged down in conversation. It was a lovely walk around on a beautiful summery day.












Thanks for stopping by my blog.













14 comments:

kathyinozarks said...

good morning those gardens are really special, I would probably visit at least once a year if it was near me.
I am loving your creative sewing! I grew up sewing my own clothes too my Mom insisted on it-I was not good at figuring out how to adjust the patterns though I mostly only wear jeans and tops smiles
Hugs Kathy

Hels said...

Sewing is a wonderful art, one that escaped my eyes and hands totally. Your sunflower and leaves are simple designs, but they look very special.

Iris Flavia said...

That is some wonderful tribute to your Mom - I love all the pieces you created.
But, wow, you can also sew clothes?

That arch in the park is beautiful, too.
Have a great day.

David M. Gascoigne, said...

My wife is a quilter but she still makes clothes for herself from time to time. She has made a couple of shirts for me, two birding vests and always makes pyjama bottoms for me. And she hems my trousers. When her daughter was little she used to make her clothes and she always hated that she didn’t have the same store-bought clothes as the other kids! You can’t please all of the people all of the time. Hugs - David

Tom said...

...thanks for taking me to Bedrock gardens.

Jeanie said...

A cloth book is an interesting idea and I really like the way this is pulled together. It's quiite beautiful and what a perfect tribute/reminiscence of your mom. I love this, Erika. (And beautiful garden photos, too.)

Valerie-Jael said...

Wonderful sewing, love it all. I have been doing some sewing, too, but I need a new machine! Lovely photos from your trip, thanks for sharing. I used to sew all ofc the clothes for my daughter and a lot of mine, too. Now I'm lazy! Hus, Valerie

Angie's Recipes said...

I wish I knew how to sew! Love that sunflower.

Lowcarb team member said...

A very nice tribute to your mom ... my dear mum loved sewing and knitting but alas they were not my favourite pastimes.

Very nice photographs from your visit to Bedrock Gardens.

All the best Jan

Gillena Cox said...

OMG your sewn art is fantastic. I have some sewn art myself which i intend to reblog in a new light; one of these months.
Much💛love

Aimeslee Winans said...

Oh I just love your messy sewing, Erika. Lots of creative imaginative pages in progress, will be lovely to see when finished. Our Lone Star baseball rivalry isn't friendly, kinda like how Houston and Dallas don't like each other, so sparks may fly, lol. Have a great weekend, xox

nwilliams6 said...

Great garden pictures. You are very good at picking out things to photograph. Love all the fabric and fun details too. You have been super busy and very artsy lately. Love your posts. Hugz

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

What an amazing tribute to your mother. I especially LOVE your messy sewing. That's how I sew, too. Two things my grandmother never allowed were me using her treadle sewing machine, or in her kitchen. That's why I hate sewing real things like clothes and I never learned to bake. I love the way you added to the leaves. Brilliant. My machine's feed dogs don't drop, so I would have a hard time doing what you did with those leaves.

Beautiful arches and a great animal. Bedrock Gardens is wonderful and so are your photos.

Divers and Sundry said...

Your stitching is beautiful! Those gardens do look like a good place for a peaceful outing.