Tuesday, October 17, 2023

Halloween Still Life

 Hi everyone.  It's once again time for a new challenge at Try It On Tuesday

First of all let me thank Melanie for being our guest designer for our last Autumn challenge.  I also want to thank everyone who joined us. ❤

For our new challenge it's time to get spooky. Or have some fun with witches, goblins, pumpkins or perhaps  trick or treaters. You can  create art with any of the  symbols for this autumn holiday. Our new challenge for the next 2 weeks is

HALLOWEEN


I wasn't going for spooky when I started this art journal page, but somehow my page didn't quite end up like I thought it would.  I like it, but it is darker than I expected it to be. 😈

I started by using some vertical stripes of washi tape and then inking my background with brown and purple ink.  Then I took out a few dies to cut out my images. The skull die as well as the spider and candelabra die are from Tim Holtz and the witch's hat die is from an old Sizzix die that also has an owl on it. I chose not to use the owl here, but my first thought was to put the witch-owl on top of the skull but sadly my journal page wasn't big enough.

That's when I decided to make a still life. I created a table top on the bottom of the page with a Stabilo colored pencil and a wet paint brush. Then I die cut all my pieces. The skull was painted with some various paints, as well as inked a bit, and the teeth were made whiter with a white pen. The hat was inked with black and then I used an orange Posca paint pen to make the brim. The spider was colored with ink pads, and the candles and candelabra was painted with various paints and also some markers. I also used a Stabilo pencil around it to create some shadow and smoke. 

Finally I stamped the spider web as well as the quotes, although the quotes were stamped on a separate piece of paper. I cut the quotes out of that sheet of whole paper and inked that paper with brown and light blue ink. I also inked the edges of my page to give it a vignette feel.

You have until October 30th to join this challenge. Remember we accept all kinds of art at TIOT. I hope your feeling spooky -or playful- and join us for our Halloween challenge.





18 comments:

Pauline C said...

Very spooky art Journal page .. so artistic! Thanks so much for having me asGDT for this week’s TioT.
Pauline x

Tom said...

...I wish you a spooktacular day.

Angie's Recipes said...

A very spooky page! I like that red spider hanging over the yellow skull..nice contrast.

Pia S said...

It's dark and spooky, and it's sooo cool. I really like the atmosphere those candles bring to the scene, even though they are probably the most innocent items on this page. I think it's fabulous.

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

Spooky and fun. I like it, especially the skull and the background.

Artyjen said...

I has great atmosphere.
xoxo Sioux

Valerie-Jael said...

Oooooh, this is wonderfully scary! Hugs, Valerie

Let's Art Journal said...

Fabulous Halloween page! Loving all the elements of spooky fun and a little hocus pocus is perfect 😊. Take care and happy wishes! Hugs, Jo x

Viv said...

Fabulously spooky Erika! x

Christine said...

Lovely seasonal page Erika.

Jeanie said...

Divinely spooky and Halloweenish!

Iris Flavia said...

I love, love, love your page! And hope I find time to join :-)
Despite Halloween is not really celebrated here, I think it is a lot of fun! Have a great day, hugs

craftytrog said...

Great spooky art Erika!

Meggymay said...

I love your page Erika, it is fun as well as a bit on the dark side, the sentiment is just right to go with the atmosphere you created.
Have a good rest of the week.
Yvonne

Divers and Sundry said...

Happy Spooky Season! I like how this piece turned out.

Aimeslee Winans said...

A very spooky still life, Erika, love how you did the die cuts, xoxo

Mrs.B said...

A fabulous page Erika, the skull looks amazing, very atmospheric and spooky.
Avril xx

pearshapedcrafting said...

Fabulous and spooky! Even though I'm not a great fan of Halloween I love this! Hugs, Chrisx