Saturday, July 25, 2020

Summer Flowers


Hi there.
The weekend is here. It's suppose to be a pretty nice day in my world. My daughter is around for the day, and I know she keeps saying she hopes we go up to her grandmother's on the lake. I think she wants to go for a swim. And it is hot enough for it.
Today's pages are ones that celebrates the flowers that bloom When It's Hot.  
I made my first page with a piece of Graphic 45  paper. Then I used the center part of a die cut oval ring, decorated it a bit, and added this lady I cut out of on old FLOW magazine. I used some white paint and one of  Alison Bomber's quote stamps. Finally I added some scalloped copper tape from my stash.

This second page started with some Dina Wakely blue spray paint, a Sharpie and a ruler.


Then I added an old seed packet from my stash and an Art By Marlene punch out sun.  My favorite part of the page is the flower border I created by die cutting some white flowers and then cutting them in half to create this edging. A few other additions finishes the page.  I'd like to get my  flowers to be thick with blooms like this seed packet shows.

I must say I have really enjoyed all the beautiful art so far this month for the When It's Hot challenge. There's a week left to this challenge at Art Journal Journey
Hope to see you there!


And there's some hot weather flowers blooming in my gardens right now. The most popular ones are my daylilies.







But there are also tall phlox and bee balm as well as other blooms also.






 I've been out fertilizing as some of my plants are doing great and some just seem to be stuck at the same size they were in in June. Let's see if that helps.

But the wild blackberries along my driveway are starting to get color and my grapes are getting bigger, as well as more bunches are forming.




Enjoy your day!


14 comments:

Valerie-Jael said...

Both pages are gorgeous and summery. I especially love the 2nd one, it's so happy! And your garden is looking quite stunning. Lovely flowers and lots of yummy grapes and blackberries. Have a great weekend with your daughter, have fun. Hugs, Valerie

Barbara said...

Your berries and grapes must love your weather. They look very healthy!

CJ Kennedy said...

Fun pages. Your garden is looking great. The day lilies and phlox are gorgeous. Will you make jam or jelly with the blackberries and grapes? Or maybe wine? The lake would be a great place to spend time at this week. Take care and stay cool.

Caty said...

Your pages are so Wonderful Erika !! Love the happiness on them, the garden and the lady in the first one, and the sun and the daisies of the second page. Amazing !
Your daylilies are Gorgeous !! they have so bright colours, magnifique !
I love blackberries and grapes.
I wish you a very happy day and weekend,
Big hugs, Caty

Meggymay said...

You have some beautiful flowers in your garden Erika , the photos looked lovely.
Both of these pages look awesome and super inspiration for your theme, I like how you used the seed packets and that wonderful quote.
Yvonne xx

sirkkis said...

Beautiful pages full of flowers and joy. I think your garden has inspired you 🌺, it's glorious 🧚.
I wish you and yours happy enjoyable weekend ❤️🦋

Anne (cornucopia) said...

Lovely artwork. And the flowers in your garden are beautiful. I have bugs eating the leaves on most of my flower plants. Between bugs and the deer, my plants aren't doing too well. It continues to be hot with not much rain where I am in CT. The storms keep going east and west of me. Even the bad thunderstorms the other night stayed about 10 miles or so away from me.

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

Goodness, Erika. Two wonderful art journal pages today. How awesome is that. I love the flowers in the first page. G45 has the most incredible papers, don't they? That background is perfect. I also like the quote, too.

Of course, your second page was adorable. I LOVED the seed packet you used. I never even thought to do that for this challenge. It's beautiful.

I'm truly in awe of all the flowers in your yard. Nothing is blooming for me this year. And the grapes and berries are amazing. The birds all got my blackberries before I could. Thanks for sharing your two very inspiring pages with us at Art Journal Journey. You are a superb host this month, dear.

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

Those day lilies reminded me of the ones we used to have at our VA home. The pity was that they were as short lived as their name. Looks like you have a nice harvest of blackberries and also grapes. Yes, another hot weekend here in NH and hope your daughter gets to go for a swim.

Lowcarb team member said...

I like both of your pages.
You have some lovely flowers in your garden, I think they would have liked the rain we had today!

Have a good weekend.

All the best Jan

craftytrog said...

Beautiful flowers and gorgeous, colourful pages Erika!
Happy Sunday,
Alison xx

Jeanie said...

Oh, those grapes! What a wonderful garden, Erika. And those berries. I expecially love your second piece, too! I have a thing for seed labels!

Divers and Sundry said...

I love both the garden pages, and your flower photos are perfect expressions of summertime. You can't beat wild blackberries (if you can get them before the birds do lol).

Cath Wilson said...

Lots of lubbly flowers - artistic and real! Love your garden flowers, Erika. You must have an amazingly colourful garden. It always looks so beautiful.
Love the journal pages... gorgeous flowers again. Half of mine died this year - slug infestations - and bad weather, wouldn't you just guess??? But they're starting to come back to life again now, so I'll trim a lot back tomorrow in the glorious sunshine we ARE going ot have :-)
Cath x