Wednesday, July 29, 2020

Sun Fashions


Hi everyone.   July is winding down ever so quickly. I can't believe we only have a few days left of this month.
When I made my journal for the When Its Hot challenge I filled in every page. This challenge, if you don't already know, is over at Art Journal Journey. As there were more than 31 pages in my journal, I have some extras to share.

Today I am sharing some vintage sun fashions.
My top page is is a fantasy page about visiting Hawaii. I  had hoped to go later this fall with my husband to celebrate the big birthdays we both have/had this year. But even though the cases are low in Hawaii, we wouldn't  have enough time to quarantine and visit what we want to visit  (since the hubby is still working), and we are not yet comfortable  traveling, so for now it  is just a dream. Maybe next fall there will be vaccines and we can travel. 
 I like this lady who was on a TH photo card. I cut her out and added the hibiscus, the state flower of Hawaii. She is showing us her cool sunglasses and also the way you can block the sun with a light wrap around your head. 

And this second page goes back many more years to when  summer hats were a must.  I stamped  the background  using one of my ancient cube stamps (from just for fun). And then I reused an idea I'd used earlier. I stamped this large Victorian lady stamp and added a frame around her so she would stand out. 
I like thoat rose covered hat she is wearing.


Do any of you still wear a summer sun hat?  I have a straw beach hat and a couple of baseball caps.  I think they have definitely become more utilitarian, at least compared to these.  
Thanks so much for visiting my blog today. 




14 comments:

Valerie-Jael said...

Both pages are lovely. The dress in the fist one reminds me of the fashions in the fifties and early sixties. Love the colours, too. Sorr you won't be able to travel this year, but it's safer not to just now. I'm sure we will be able to travel again soon. Have a great day, hugs, Valerie

Eileen Bergen said...

Very pretty pages, Erika. You've been a super hostess at AJJ this month. Thank you for all the inspiration and encouragement.

Hugs, Eileen

Monica said...

Yes, I have summer hats and since I live in the Texas Hill Country I wear them almost all year as I am a redhead and sun weather winter or summer is a potential enemy! Current is 2 straws one orange, one blue the sort of straw that takes a battering as it is thrown onto the car seat or back seat.
Monica

Cath Wilson said...

Wonderfully hot, Erika...you've done well this month. I LOVE the top one. It just oozes sunshine and heat...a bit like a mirage if you live over here, though the weather forecast is threatening real sunshine the next two days...I hope so!
Sorry I've been a bad blogger and not been around much. I'll do a little catching up before I leave!
Cath x

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

You have gone all out this month for Art Journal Journey, Erika. That first page is fabulous and I can just imagine visiting Hawaii and wearing one of those leis around my neck. That flower reminded me of the leis I have seen there. It's a beautiful entry, dear and very inspirational.

Your second journal page made me smile. I think women may have worn those hats in the early 20th Century and I like how you stamped all the ladies and their hats. I also like how you framed your focal lady. This was amazing and another great entry for your theme at Art Journal Journey.

My friend Sally wears a hat in summer, but I prefer just a visor because my head gets too hot under a hat. Most of the time I'm not out in the heat of the day, though.

kathyinozarks said...

awesome journal pages Erika

Iris Flavia said...

LOL, I´m planning on "Aloha" as well and I bet you have no idea what´s to come, LOL!
Sad "Corinna" destroys all our travel plans.
I was dumb and ruined my scull in Australia, so in Summer I tend to wear a summer hat (and in winter, too, brrr!).
In fact I ordered a hat in 1920´s style, can´t wait! Well, it was a cheapy, let´s see...

craftytrog said...

A gorgeous couple of pages Erika 🤩
I'll be wearing my sun hat today, as I'm heading to a friend's garden for lunch.
Happy international friendship Day!
Alison xx

Meggymay said...

Fabulous pages for your AJJ theme Erika, so inspiring I just hoped I could have joined in a bit more this month, but as you know it was not to be.
I love the sun hats you shared and yes I do wear one, its a bit bettered but does the job.
Stay safe.
Yvonne xx

CJ Kennedy said...

We're not traveling far from home. Grocery shopping, a trip to Lowe's, and occasional take-out at The 99 or Five Guys is exciting as it gets. A trip to Hawaii will be something to look forward to. I like the colors of your page. My mother was into hats. She would have loved the one your Miss is wearing. I just wear a baseball cap while out gardening or to the beach. Stay cool!

Jeanie said...

Your top piece reminds me of Little Edie in Grey Gardens! I have a beach hat that I never seem to remember to wear on the beach and a couple of sun visors. I love baseball caps and look really uber-dorky in them with my bushy hair!

pearshapedcrafting said...

Love these pages!! Great fashion pics! Yes I do occasionally wear a hat with a brim! Only if it's not windy though! Hugs, Chrisx

Words and Pictures said...

A lovely celebration of summer fashion - I love that glam Paper Doll - she always makes me happy. I have got a couple of straw hats - fairly elegant ones worn to weddings a quarter of a century ago - but they still spark joy, so for now they're staying, even though they don't get worn much!
Alison x

Divers and Sundry said...

I love both sun representations, and that hat's a keeper. The world needs more hats :)