Thursday, July 23, 2020

Live Free and Ride


Hi everyone.
My page today for Art Journal Journey is certainly a warm weather thing to do. Let's go for a motorcycle ride.

OK, I haven't been on a motorcycle for eons, not since college, but my husband likes to ride. I just need to go buy a helmet and jacket to ride along with him. AND I also have to get up a bit of courage. You might laugh at that, since he is a very good and safe rider.  I just know when we had the jetski he use to dump me in the lake a lot, as well as the one time he took me snowmobile riding back in our twenties and he dumped us onto the snow on that too. I just am a little worried about being dumped on the asphalt. Going who knows what speed on top of it!
Maybe one day I will get brave.

So my page today is all about this postcard I had in my stash and that I altered a bit. New Hampshire has a very high per capita number of motorcycles, and (unfortunately in my opinion) no helmet wearing law. (Although many folks do wear helmets, including the hubby.)  We are also home to the oldest motorcycle rally in the US, Laconia Bike Week, which is just a couple of towns away from where I live.  It usually happens in June around Father's Day, but this year it has been postponed with many changes made to it. 

The postcard also says Live Free and Ride. It is a take off of our state motto which is Live Free or Die,  a quote referenced back to  Revolutionary War hero General John Stark.  This is the same war the UK calls the American War of Independence.  New Hampshire was one of the 13 original colonies that fought for freedom from the British. Anyhow, Stark's quote became our state motto, and it often used in political talk, such when people debate a motorcycle helmet wearing law.  And why our state doesn't have one.

And the last bit of interest in this postcard is the stone face the people in the car are looking at.  It is our state symbol, although it no longer exists in real life. In the White Mountains of my state there was a natural stone face called The Old Man of the Mountain (or Great Stone Face and Profile too).  It was first recorded (according to Wikipedia) in 1805. Unfortunately it collapsed from ice build up in early May of 2003. It is on the standard free license plate and is still a symbol for the state. I'm glad to have seen it many times, and my daughter saw it at least once, but new granite staters (New Hampshire folks) will only get to see photos and hear about it. That is sad.

Yesterday it was grey skies almost all day, and I spent a lot of time on my studio reorganization. Not done yet, but all the big parts are finished. Hurrah! Now I just need to go through my scrap paper bin and the top of a couple of shelves. But the room is picked up and you don't have to walk on paths around my mess. Glad to be at this point as I am ready to be done. (But also glad I've done this!)

That's all for me today.  Time to go Life Free and Ride (in my car that is-smile).


10 comments:

Elkes Lebensglück said...

A beautiful page with this motif, fits great on the topic
I used to ride a motorcycle, I was thrown down and luckily nothing happened. But it is really this freedom when you can take away the fear. I can understand that you have to be a little braver with these experiences.
Beautiful that you are almost done with your studio!
Greetings Elke

CJ Kennedy said...

Fun postcard. I'm so glad I got to see the Old Man. You can still sort of see him. Slices of his face were reproduced on metal standing at the rest stop and looking at the metal sculptures just the right way, the face pops out like it did when you were riding in the car. I might not ride on the motorcycle, but the leather jacket would be a cool thing to have. Just not today! Stay cool!

Lowcarb team member said...

That is a great page ... love it!

All the best Jan

Valerie-Jael said...

Beautiful journal page, great idea with the bike. I used to enjoy biking but I wouldn't sit on one today! Glad your re-organised room is coming along nicely. Have a great day, hugs, Valerie

ashok said...

Enjoyed the read

Meggymay said...

It looks a super postcard to use on this fabulous page for your theme at AJJ Erika. Riding without a helmet sounds bad these days, I hope most folk would be sensible and wear one.
Its good that your room is nearly completed, you have worked hard sorting it out.
Stay safe.
Yvonne xx

pearshapedcrafting said...

I used to love riding pillion on my uncle's bike. We lived fairly close to a very long straight road out in the countryside and he used to go very fast and then tell me not to snitch to my parents!!! I don't think I would be brave enough to ride now though! I love this page and the history of your state too! I hope the grey skies clear soon! Chrisx

nwilliams6 said...

Great page representing the freedom and beauty of riding! It has been ages since I have been on one - not sure I could get on one these days - lol. Fun!

Sharon Fritchman said...

Absolutely beautiful page! I love that you used a motorcycle here - what a great way to enjoy summer!

Divers and Sundry said...

Motorcycles aren't my thing, but I love hearing about the culture surrounding activities like these. Each group has its own language, its own history and practices...