Friday, July 24, 2020

When the Heat Breaks


Hi everyone.  Happy Friday! 
Today's post for When It's Hot at Art Journal Journey is all about those  times when warm air rises into colder air. The result is a thunderstorm. And sometimes worse weather, but my page is only about the grandeur (and sometimes beauty and sometimes scariness) of a thunderstorm. 
I should have shown this yesterday was the weather was very humid and the skies stayed cloudy. Plus yesterday my phone kept going off  that there were serious storms in the area. Luckily we got no more than some rumbles of thunder and a bit of rain. 
But today we have a nice day on tap.
Don't you think my spray ink background came out great?  Well, I think it looks like a stormy sky. And  I drew and then fussy cut my lightning bolt. And I added a bit of yellow Stickles to make the lightning have the brightness. 

And remember, if you are near the water, or the tallest structure in an area, get inside before  the storm. This gentleman in my next page may be enjoying the beach, which is fun thing to do when it's hot, but definitely not during a thunderstorm.


My clouds are  made from bits of mica that I picked up out of my driveway, and after glueing down all the pieces, I then whitewashed the mica. Finally I outlined the mica and added some Stickles glitter glue so the clouds would stand out a little better.

And I can't believe it is Friday already.  
Happy start to your weekend!


18 comments:

Valerie-Jael said...

Yes, it's Friday already, time flies! Both your pages are beautiful, I especially like the lightning bolt. And your sprayed background turned out very well. Have a fun day! Hugs, Valerie

CJ Kennedy said...

Your lightning page is great! We got some rain and heard lots of thunder but that was about it for my area. Most of the storms went North and East of me. Did you see the news with the lightning striking the tree in Athol? Here's to better weather today. Stay cool.

Barbara said...

Perfect stormy sky with lightening, I agree. Indeed, a very stormy feeling!

Caty said...

Wonderful your pages Erika !! They are both Amazing, love the yellow thunderstorm (afraid !) and gorgeous mica clouds on your second art journal page. Have a great weekend, enjoy and stay safe,
Big hugs, Caty

Elkes Lebensglück said...

This is a great, beautiful site with the flash
and the bathing man from before is great with your background, you did that well with the spray paint background!
For me there are also people who can storm and lightning and still go into the water. They are so unreasonable!
Greetings Elke

R's Rue said...

Beautiful

pearshapedcrafting said...

I love these pages Erika! We saw some very dramatic pictures of the storms in the USA! I didn't know clams were happy but this guy had better watch out if those clouds turn to storm clouds! :-D Have a great weekend, Chrisx

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

Oh WOW. That is ONE BIG thunderstorm. Amazing. I love it. It reminds me of thunderstorms in KS. What a fabulous journal page.

For the second page, what struck me was you have MICA in your driveway. Seriously? And to think, I have to pay tons for mine. You are SO lucky. Mica aside, I loved this entry, He has his feet planted clearly in the sand and this is an incredible entry. Both of these are super and really inspiring for your theme at Art Journal Journey.

Meggymay said...

A fabulous take on your AJJ theme, it is quite amazing how hot it can feel in a summer thunderstorm. I love the journal pages you created.
Yvonne xx

craftytrog said...

Wonderful art Erika and a great idea for your theme!
Happy weekend!
Alison xx
P.S. Glad you're enjoying Labyrinth, you'll love the other books too 😊

Eileen Bergen said...

Great pages, Erika. I really like the lightening bolt page. Yes, that does look like a dark stormy sky. Have a good weekend. I hope the good weather holds for you. Hugs, Eileen

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

Good advice, Erika, on taking cover during a storm. we had a couple of downpours in Nashua as well this week and it;s always great to be watching them from our apt.

Lowcarb team member said...

Love the lightening bolt :)

All the best Jan

nwilliams6 said...

Love your lightning focus - we have had serious storms here in Alabama every night this week with lots of thunder and lighting. Last night our house shook a number of times! I had watched ghost stories all day so it was extra scary- lol. Super cool swimsuit in your second piece - it is totally fun! Super post, Erika. Hugz

Sharon Fritchman said...

Erika, both pages are absolutely beautiful. I especially love the thunderstorm and lightening! We have had a lot of it lately as it has been very hot and humid here - the best recipe for thunder storms! Thanks for sharing your gorgeous work!!! HUGS, Sharon

Jeanie said...

Love your spray ink background. It looks like last night's skies did here. We are in the heavy rain and very humid period here. And well done with the driveway mica! It looks great!

Divers and Sundry said...

Your lightening page is striking! I love how you made the clouds in your beach piece.

Cath Wilson said...

Well, that's a new one - happy as a clam???? I've never heard that one before.

The man on the beach looks super cool. Great page. Love the storm, too...not pleasant while they're happening but oh so nice when they're over :-)
Cath x