Friday, April 22, 2022

Animals for Friday

Hi everyone.  Happy Earth Day. And happy "Bearthday" dear Elizabeth. I hope you have a wonderful day.

Another week has flown by. I've been busy trying to get a few chores done outside as it won't be long when (in a few weeks) the black flies hatch out and drive us back inside again. Luckily these little insects are usually only bad 2-3 weeks, but it is still annoying that when we finally get good weather, they have to drive you back inside.

To celebrate Earth Day and being green in all it's various forms, I have a page for Alison's  Play It Again Sam challenge at Art Journal Journey.

"It's not Easy Being Green" is a classic song from the Muppets.  Kermit the Frog sings it. The frogs on my page  are tired of being green, so they are now colorful frogs.


Or perhaps these frogs live in a tropical place where frogs have lots of color.

The one problem I have with using a bound bought journal (like the one this page is made on) is that it is hard to get a good flat photo of my page. My book is bulging.

I made my page by first watercolor painting the background. Then I used some sparkle glue over it to give it a bit of sparkle. Once that all dried, I stamped the grassy background with an ancient B-Line Design image.

The border is a stamped image that I fussy cut and  colored with markers. I stamped it several times in order to make the full top and bottoms borders. I also stamped the frogs, fussy cut them, and then gave them each a wash of watercolor paint. I then did a bit of doodling to give them a little more pizzazz. Finally I stamped the quotes, which except for the long one about eating what bugs them, came in the same stamp set as did both size frogs. 

The  spring peepers (tree frogs) around my house are really giving us a beautiful night chorus lately. It is a sign of spring when they start chirping. Some people might find them a just loud noise at night, but it is one of my favorite sounds, which also works for Alison's challenge at Art Journal Journey.

There is also a new challenge at Tag Tuesday . This time it is Animals, Tame or Wild, No Insects. It is hosted by Sandie.


I hope you can see the animal waving at you on my tag. 

Mr. Cat wanted to see a bit of the world and not add lots of carbon emissions to the atmosphere, so he chose to travel by balloon. As it is Earth Day, he sees lots of flowers and a pretty rainbow. He hopes the rainbow is a sign that people will learn and the earth won't be destroyed or drastically changed by plastics, climate warming and other environmental issues we are facing. 

I am also joining Gillena's Art For Fun Friday.

Thanks for visiting my blog. Wishing everyone a great start to the weekend ahead. 








22 comments:

CJ Kennedy said...

the colorful frogs are fun and I love Ink going on an adventure in the balloon. Enjoy the weekend.

Valerie-Jael said...

Love your journal page, fantastic idea! And I love the ta for Sandie's challenge, thanks so much. Have a great weekend, hugs, Valerie

Angie's Recipes said...

Happy Earth Day! The page looks so fun and happy with colourful frogs, Erika.

sirkkis said...

Yes, I see a black cat in balloon basket 😸
Fun woks today.
Happy Earth day and weekend 💚🌷

Christine said...

Lovely page, happy birthday Elizabeth!

Carola Bartz said...

Both the journal and the tag are beautiful, Erika. I'm sorry to hear about the black flies, that sounds so annoying. Maybe you need way more frogs who might eat those pesky flies? Have a lovely weekend!

Anne (cornucopia) said...

Lovely artwork. (I hope you didn't get snow the other day. Fortunately it was all rain here in CT.)

craftytrog said...

I love your froggy page Erika, great song choice. Thanks for linking up to my AJJ theme.
Alison

Jeanie said...

Both very pretty, Erika. I know what you mean about flat journals. We got a lovely new art shop here -- small but everything is high quality and they had some beautiful art journal books -- but all were shrink wrapped and I couldn't tell how flat they laid. Of course, I can't if I order online either, so who knows. But it is a problem!

Sandra Wright. said...

Such a super Tag, love Mr Cat peeping over the basket in his hot air balloon.
Thank you s o much for playing along at Tag Tuesday x

Su-sieee! Mac said...

Ribbit, ribbit. I love your frogs of oodles of color. Has me smiling. Ribbit, ribbit. Your tag featuring Mr. Cat is fun and happy, too.

Iris Flavia said...

Ohhhh, what a cute song, I didn´t know it! Hope you don´t mind I copy you, I have something to add, too.

I´m waving back - very cute tag! To peace and freedom.
And a great weekend!

pinky said...

I wish I had some time to spend on my journaling. Your page is beautiful. I am so loving that tag too. Very bright and cheerful and such a great shape. That cat is having such a good time! Thanks for playing along with us at Tag Tuesday.
Pinky

David M. Gascoigne, said...

Happy Earth Day to you too, Erika. It is something for all of us to celebrate and perhaps to commit in some small way to ameliorating the terrible mess we have made. It can be something simple too, nothing grandiose, but the combined actions of many can have a substantial impact. If we don't act soon it will be too late. Hugs, David.

carol l mckenna said...

Oh your froggie earth day journal page is delightful and your tag is colorful and creative and love the little bear waving ~ so cute! Xo


Wishing you love and laughter in your day,

A ShutterBug Explores,
aka (A Creative Harbor)

DVArtist said...

Love this Earth day art. Have a wonderful day.

Divers and Sundry said...

I don't think we have black flies here. It's mosquitoes that drive us inside.

I wish walkable communities were more common, but balloon travel sounds like fun for longer trips :)

NatureFootstep said...

lol, My first thought was, "That was one grumpy frog King" :)
cool!

Aimeslee Winans said...

Fabulous page and tag, Erika. Love what you did on each of them. Our frogs don't get noisy at night down here until Summer. It's them and the crickets, lol. I'm horrified thinking about so many flies, yuck. But then, substitute the word mosquito and I immediately get it and understand. So interesting what the nature differences in locale are. xoxo

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

WOW, Erika. You are creating art out the wazoo. I LOVE the frogs. Love how colorful they are. Maybe they are chameleon frogs. This is a darling page for Alison's theme at Art Journal Journey.

Such a cute tag, Nice that the cat is considerate of his carbon footprint. I love this and wish I had been here to celebrate this day with you, dear friend.

Neet said...

Lovely tag and a fab page. I just love the idea of those frogs all colourful and decorated like they are. As you say the song is a classic and I have it running through my head right now.
Thanks for a fab colourful page.
Hugs, Neet xx

pinky said...

Your tag is sweet. Love the vivid blues and your cute cat. Waving back!! Thanks for joining us at tag Tuesday this week.
Pinky