Friday, April 8, 2022

Friday Art

Hi everyone. Happy Friday to you. 

I'll start my post with another journal page for Alison's Play It Again Sam challenge at Art Journal Journey

My page today is not true for me ( I am not really a night owl), but is an ode to so many songs that reference night. To make a border around my page, I scribble wrote the names of songs I could think of or could find online that have the word night in the title.


I then added a dictionary page that I had used a bit of watercolor paint on. On that dictionary page, I drew in and colored some stars.  Then I cut out this owl from a sheet of paper. I added and outlined some details on the owl.

While going through some things I came across a bin with some old rub on letters from Making Memories Scrapbooking supplies. I don't know if this company is still in business, but I've had an up and down relationship with this box of rub on letters for the last 20 or so years I've had them. I've often thought about passing them along because I wasn't using them, and then I'd decide I should use them, so I used them for awhile, and then I didn't use them, and then I again had the thoughts about passing them along. OK, enough back and forth with these rub ons, so I brought them out and have been using them for the moment. I like the letters, but they're also a pain because each package has at least 26 sheets with one letter from the alphabet  per sheet. Not one A or one B, but a page with maybe 15 A's and then another page with 15 B's. Etc. And some have more pages because they include numbers. It does mean there are lots of letters per sheet, but it also means a lot of flipping back and forth. 

Anyhow, the short of it is that I used a few of those letters to make the title on my page. 

My page title is the title of a song written by Carly Simon, and is performed by Carly Simon  and also in a slightly different version by her former husband  James Taylor. It's got great lyrics, a really fun beat and is one of my favorite ode to the night songs. 

I also have a tag for Valerie's challenge at Tag Tuesday. This challenge is to use (mostly) 
blue and/or green.


I'm not sure I'm crazy about the spring quote, but I have a limited range of images to use right now since (as you all know), my normal work space and supply storage is a bit disrupted. Smile.

And if Gillena is doing her Friday link up to her Lunch Break , I'll link up over there also.

And look, my early crocuses are blooming.


I have some larger ones that will be in bloom soon; that's why I call these my early crocuses.


That's it for me today. I'm going to start painting the spare bedroom today. Yahoo. I want to do that before the floor gets put down. But we are getting closer. Have a wonderful start to your weekend.








 

24 comments:

Valerie-Jael said...

Hi Erika, your journal page with the owl is beautiful, and of course, I love the blue and green tag, thnks so much for lnking to my challenge. I'm sure you are happy to see the early crocuses blooming, so pretty! Hugs, Valerie

Gillena Cox said...

How nice!!! Always luv me a lil bit of newsprint in the art.
Thanks for dropping by and linking in at Art For Fun Friday today

Much💜love

CJ Kennedy said...

Cute owl and the blue and green Spring tag is so pretty especially with the cat. Your crocus look so pretty clumped together. Enjoy the day.

kathyinozarks said...

Good morning Erika, beautiful art I really love the tag especially Hugs

Jeanie said...

Lucky you with the crocus -- it will be a while here!

Love both the art pieces today -- you have such wonderful use of color!

Iris Flavia said...

Love all three!
I was as student a night own but now I´m the early bird. Weird how we change, and also how we learn to adapt!
Ohhh,I just met a cat-customer yesterday. She is already 17 but was eager to be part of the conversation, soooo cute.
And YES to those flowers! Hugs and to a great Friday/weekend!

craftytrog said...

A beautiful Spring tag, and a fabulous page Erika! I'm no night owl either, although sometimes I read in bed until quite late.
Another great page for my AJJ theme.
The crocuses are stunning, such a beautiful colour.
Happy Friday,
Alison

DVArtist said...

I am not a night owl either but I love this owl. Your next piece is so summery and ohhh your flowers look amazing.

Christine said...

Lovely Friday Art!

carol l mckenna said...

Lovely blue/green tag and owl page is awesomely done ~ Xo

Wishing you love and laughter in your days,

A ShutterBug Explores,
aka (A Creative Harbor)

Su-sieee! Mac said...

I like your collages very much. I appreciate you describing how you put your collages together. It gets me to want to experiment with this year’s calendar that I’m making as the months go. You’ve reminded me that I have a bunch of rub on letters, too, which I’ve kept saving over the decades because I never know when I might use them. I’m pulling them out. Cheers! :-)

Lowcarb team member said...

I do like your journal page with the owl and I also like the blue and green tag, those colours look good together.

Happy spare bedroom painting, hope it all goes well.

All the best Jan

NatureFootstep said...

I am often a Nightowl myself so I love yours :)

And spring colors are always welcome. :)

Tracey@Hotchpotchcreations said...

That would be the school teacher in you stopping you from being a night owl, I'm very much an early to bed early to rise person. Loving all the text, script and different fonts used. Owl wears that big hat rather well.
The tag is very sweet and you did just great with the quote, you'll be spoilt for choice when your new craftroom is just how you want it.
Have a super weekend Hugs Tracey xx
P.S Nice to see your crocus mine flowered far too early this year x

Mascha said...

Wonderful works and truly a great song, have heard it - new to me -.
Our crocuses are over, had already a nice springtime, but just we got winter again...brrrrrrrrrrr!
Have a great weekend

Shari Burke said...

Oooh, this night owl is in love with the way you used the dictionary pages in the night owl piece and for the cat!

Those crocuses are gorgeous! That deep purple is my favourite colour.

So glad things are moving along with the room renovation--it will be a fabulous space for you!

David M. Gascoigne, said...

Good morning, Erika: I am not a night owl either, unless I am going out at night to look for owls, that is! It's rarely that I am not in bed by 10 o'clock, and I am usually up a little after five. I bet you ate just itching to get your room finished and have full, unimpeded access to all your art supplies. And for a few days at least you will know where everything is! Hugs, David

WendyK said...

Love your journal page and gorgeous tag. Thank you for sharing with us on Tag Tuesday. I am a night owl, and could work all night sometimes.

Meggymay said...

I love the owl page and the tag. It just shows that if we store craft items for long enough there will be a time we will use them. Saying that I have discarded many sheets of alphabet letters etc because all the vowels were used long ago.
Yvonne xx

Let's Art Journal said...

Such fabulous designs! The night owl made me smile, like you I'm not a night owl either (smile!). Loving your spring tag too ☺️. Take care! Hugs Jo x

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I am sorry to be so late visiting. It was definitely not by choice. Your night owl page is wonderful. Very unique and very well done. Those rub-ons sound like a pain, but I've only had ONE sheet of rub-ons in my life. Thanks for this wonderful page using Alison's teheme at AJJ, dear.

LOVE the tag. Reminds me of Bleubeard! He wants that collar, too.

Nice crocuses. I've never had any, but these are beautiful.

Divers and Sundry said...

Carly Simon! So many fond memories evoked by her music. Crocuses are about gone here, I think. Yours are pretty :)

pinky said...

You do such great art projects Erika!! I am loving your beautiful tag today. Thanks for sharing with us at Tag Tuesday.
Pinky

Neet said...

I wonder what the opposite of 'night owl' is - is it 'early bird? Well I am neither. Don't stay up until the wee small hours and don't rise with the crack of dawn.
Love your page however, what a great idea to write all those songs down to create a very interesting border. Love the owl and his top hat. A very engaging piece.
Hugs, Neet xx