Tuesday, April 19, 2022

I Can Hear Music

Hi everyone.  

The last 2 weeks have flown by, and I'm back again with some art for our new challenge at Try It On Tuesday  Big thanks to all of you who joined us for our Spring colors challenge, as well as to Koyel for hosting with her beautiful art piece. 

Our next challenge is I Can Hear Music.

I thought these 4 friends looked ready for their high school prom in their pretty spring dresses with corsages pinned to their shoulders. We're getting into prom season right now at high schools here in the US. I'm not sure if proms are held elsewhere, or if people elsewhere even know what proms are. Here in the US they formal or semi-formal dances usually held for older high school students. In the school I taught at there was a separate junior and senior prom (the last 2 years of high school), but at my daughter's school they had one prom for both years combined.

The best things about the prom now, compared to when I was in high school, is that they aren't strictly boy-girl dates any longer. That certainly makes it less disappointing to someone who doesn't have a date to go with, as it was back in the day.


This theme of my journal page prom is In a Garden, and these girls decided instead of looking for dates they would go as a group of friends. They had a fun time picking out new dresses with each other  and also picking out their flowers. And they can't wait to dance to all the music that will be played. 

Just like Cyndi Lauper's song title, Girls Just Want to Have Fun

I made my page by first stamping lots of images on a journal page. Then I watercolored painted the flowers, and watercolored the background a different color.  I added the die cut doily and a strip of polka dot paper for my girls to sit on. I added some paint dots to the centers of the flowers, and also some flower sequins because this is a prom page and these girls want the night to sparkle.

You have the next 2 weeks to link your music themed art up to the Try It On Tuesday website. We accept any types of art. And don't forget to check out the design teams musically inspired pieces. They always have some beautiful pieces and lots of inspiration. 

It will be fun to see everyone's musical art.

I'm linking my page up to 3 other challenges. First,to Alison's Play It Again challenge at Art Journal Journey where the theme is to create a page with a favorite song or movie. You can probably recognize the song by its title on my page. I am also going to share my page over at River of Creativity, challenge #12, where the theme is Anything goes with an optional twist of Spring, as well as linking up to Creative Artiste Mixed Media Challenge #81, where the theme is always anything goes, as long as you use at least 3 types of media.

Thanks for visiting my blog, and hope you're having a good week so far.


22 comments:

Helen said...

Absolutely LOVE this art journal spread Erika! The fun bright colours, the flowers, the girls having fun.. just brilliant! Have a fantastic week! ((HUGS)) Helen

Let's Art Journal said...

Such a fabulous page! Loving your song choice inspiration and your captured it so beautifully too in your fun, vibrant and colourful page 😁. Happy and creative wishes! Hugs Jo x

carol l mckenna said...

So colorful and creative ~ and great message too ~ Xo

Wishing you laughter and love in your days,

A ShutterBug Explores,
aka (A Creative Harbor)

Divers and Sundry said...

They do look ready for a party, don't they! Dressed for springtime fun :)

Matilde said...

Oh, your page is awesome, Erika! I like the flowers and the way how you used the girls sitting on the tape :)

Joan said...

Love this page, so colourful and a great theme to it, the girls look ready to have fun


Joan x

Valerie-Jael said...

This is one of my fave pages from you, really lovely. Hugs, Valerie

R's Rue said...

So much fun. I love it so much.

CJ Kennedy said...

Looks like you captured the spirit of the prom. I hope you didn't catch any snow this morning.

Mae Travels said...

Hi from my road trip, now in Tucson, Arizona, and enjoying the scenery. I'm afraid I can't do detailed comments as there's just too much to do!

best... mae at maefood.blogspot.com

Debbie Mageed said...

Such a cute journal page! Those girls look like they are ready for some fun! Thank you for allowing me to join your fun group for this challenge. I really enjoyed it! Have a great rest of your week.

Meggymay said...

A fabulous page Erika and how good it is now that girls or boys can go off to the end of school dance dance and feel comfortable in their groups. You chose a great inspiration song. Have a good rest of the week.
Yvonne xx

Zoechaos said...

Another great fun piece, your fussy cutting of the 4 girls is exemplary well done. I enjoyed reading about the American Prom as well, here in the UK we used to have the School Dance but in recent years it has turned into the "Prom" complete with all the expense that goes with it. It did make me happy to read that for your daughters school it is no longer Girl + Boy mandatory. Thank you for sharing with us again at River of Creativity. xx

pearshapedcrafting said...

What fabulous page Erika! Proms seem to be popular in the UK too. I love the flower theme and I am sure they will have fun! Hugs, Chrisx

Jeanie said...

This is a fun page, Erika. Great graphic and wonderful colors!

craftytrog said...

Such a gorgeous page Erika, and I just love that Cindi Lauper song! Another great entry for my AJJ theme!
Alison

Christi Conley said...

Such a fun & Lively page Erika!! Now I am hearing Cyndi Lauper in my head - LOL - I adore all the bright colors ~ Thank you SO much for joining us at River of Creativity ~ Hugs, Christi DT

brenda said...

What a great page, always felt my generation missed out here in the UK as proms only came into fashion in the last 15/20 or so years, always seemed such fun and love your bright happy page. Many thanks for sharing with us at River of Creativity.

B x

Neet said...

A fab page and a fab song you linked it to. Yes, those girls are definitely dressed for the Prom.
We have started having Proms over here in the UK and it is the highlight of the year for the girls who love to dress up.
Hugs, Neet xx

Mrs.B said...

Hi Erika, here at last!
I love your choice of song and your page, with its bright colours and flowers makes the perfect background for those pretty girls, they're definitely ready for some fun. Xx

Marjut said...

Your page is so lovely, beautiful background and colours.

Tracey@Hotchpotchcreations said...

Uplifting and extremely colourful, amazing how so many picked tracks have brought so many happy memories of music that appears to be timeless. Wish i'd seen the TioT theme earlier but it's been another stinker of a month.. with 2/3 more to come :(
So Glad you shared this super duper page @ Creative Artiste it's made my day. Hugs Tracey xx