Thursday, April 7, 2022

Down on the Farm

 Hi everyone.  Happy Thursday to you.

I'm back today with a page for Art Journal Journey.  This month the talented  Alison from Craftytrog's Arty Adventures is hosting, and her theme is Play It Again Sam. Today I have another page that represents a song.

Since I used so many bits and pieces to make this page, I am also linking up to this month's  Creative Artiste Mixed Media Challenge, challenge #81, which is always anything goes, just use a variety of mixed media ephemera or techniques. 

And lastly, I am also joining Rain who I've recently "officially" met over at Food Wednesdays, but who many of you already know. Here theme this week is Farm Life.

Here's my art journal page. 


I started this page because while going through my scrap bin I came across this giant Red Rooster image.  It was part of a big can label, although I have no idea for what item. I received the label as a freebie when I bought some art supplies a few years back.

 I collaged some yellow tissue paper on my blank page.  I filled in the white space with some yellow watercolor paint. I also stamped the black checkerboard, but because this page is on the left side of my journal, and the left side of my journal is starting to bulge  a bit, the image didn't stamp very well. (But I must say I like the effect.)

I then collaged some printed acetate scraps, my food label, an old playing card, some other chicken images and some little yellow foam sunflowers. The playing card gave the farm boy a convenient place to sit, and the quote is one I made up using some older TH word/phrase stickers.


And I'll be honest, I didn't start with a song in mind when I made this page. The rooster label was calling me to be my centerpiece, but once I made it, the  song that jumped  into my  mind  was the Chicken Dance.  You might be familiar with that song because it is so often played at weddings and other events and has people dancing like chickens. I liked my page, but didn't think that was a great song for Alison's challenge because it's not even a song I like.  I almost decided not to post this for that challenge. 

 After looking at my page for awhile though, a song finally came to me, and even though it's not my favorite John Denver tune, my song  for this page is Thank God I'm a Country Boy. Here's the first stanza that fits my page.

Well life on the farm is kinda laid back
Ain't much an old country boy like me can't hack
It's early to rise, early in the sack
I thank God I'm a country boy

It is a catchy tune though, and John Denver makes great listening. He was also an excellent song writer. One of my favorites he wrote that you usually don't associate with him singing in I'm Leaving On A Jet Plane. Perhaps that would make a great page.

That's my art and post for today.  I hope your week is going well.
Thanks for visiting. 







23 comments:

kathyinozarks said...

Love this Erika how you were able to link it with a song. and I love this journal page too hugs

Neet said...

A fab page Erika, with such zingy colours. Yes, had I got that label in with some others I would have wanted to use it. Hurrah for the red rooster who sets the scene for your farm yard and your little boy who obviously has been brought up amongst all the chickens and hens. Hope he keeps away from the old red rooster should he be a bit 'picky'.
A great page!
Hugs, Neet xx

Angie's Recipes said...

This is so nice. I love the rooster at the right corner of the page.

CJ Kennedy said...

Your farm page screams rise and shine. Not much shine today with raining moving in. A good day to listen to John Denver tunes.

Christine said...

Lovely intricate farm mixed media Erika! I loved that leaving on a jet plane song.

Divers and Sundry said...

I'd be happy to have a bright morning with that cheerful rooster and good little boy. They promise a good day :)

Debra She Who Seeks said...

Love the collage and all those roosters! Not at the crack of dawn, though.

Mia said...

I love your "country boy" song, Erika, and be sure that fits perfect with the page. Your big red rooster captured my eyes and I love the whole design. Great page, my friend. Thank you for the inspiration and for sharing with us the steps. Kisses!

Jeanie said...

This is just a happy page. Love that John Denver song and the colors are wonderful! Happy day!

Sharon Fritchman said...

Love your creativity! What a perfect song to represent your beautiful page! I love the retro feel of it!!! And that John Denver song is one of my FAVS!!!!

DVArtist said...

I love this. That rooster is the best part. Have a lovely day.

Valerie-Jael said...

Your journal page is bright and beautiful, the song fits so well and it's perfect for Alison's challenge and Rain's TAD. Have a great day, hugs, Valerie

Luiz Gomes said...

Boa tarde Erika. Parabéns pelo seu excelente trabalho e matéria de qualidade. Uma excelente quinta-feira.

Gillena Cox said...

Fabulous journal page, Erika

Much💜love

Tracey@Hotchpotchcreations said...

That Rooster really makes a big statement Erika, great use of old packaging to build up your mixed media journal spread. Love the smaller hens and chicks clucking around the page. My Mom used to play John Denver a lot when I was a child, he died way too young. Thanks for playing along @ Creative Artiste.
Hugs Tracey xx

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

Your rooster label is the star of this page, Erika. I am truly impressed with this latest entry that meets so many wonderful challenges. This really DOES look like country life and I think the song is perfect for this. Thank you for this beautiful and warm entry using Alison's theme at Art Journal Journey.

Meggymay said...

A fantastic page Erika, I really like those roosters and hens. Its great inspiration for the song your were thinking about and for Alison's AJJ theme.
Have a good weekend
Yvonne xx

Lisca said...

Oh I love this page! I particularly love the colors.
Yes, I know 'Country Boy'. My husband is a John Denver fan and knows all the songs. He did cover version of most of his successes. (He has the right voice for them and could mimic the accent too).
Have a lovely weekend,
Lisca

Iris Flavia said...

Love the page (despite I dislike the (Australian) food chain ;-)...)
A rooster woke us every morning in Jamaica - mind you, I hated him ;-)

craftytrog said...

A gorgeous page with that sweet little boy and the colourful rooster.
Thanks for linking it to my AJJ theme.
Alison

Lowcarb team member said...

I do like the rooster, it's so colourful.

All the best Jan

NatureFootstep said...

lol. I love the Red Rooster. Such a proud one. He really shows who´s in charge.

Andrea @ From The Sol said...

Your Big Red Rooster looks like the label on the front of a Feed Sack. It is bright and colorful and made for a perfect centerpiece in your Journal page. My Granddaughter lived on a farm in Thailand and she loves chickens, so I will show her this. I always get her fun chicken things like stuffed animals and figures like you have in your collage. And, yes, I remember "Thank God I'm a Country Boy" and "I'm Leaving On A Jet Plane". It's been awhile since I thought of John Denver, but think I might dig out some old tapes and take a listen :) Enjoyed this post ... perfect for the Farm Life prompt :)

Andrea @ Form the Sol