Saturday, April 9, 2022

Saturday Sunshine

Hi everyone. Happy weekend. 

I was awake and up this morning so I walked early to catch the few rays of sun before the clouds moved in.  In fact, by the time I got home  an hour later it was cloudy.

For a little bit it was a glorious morning as the sun came up. 


The sun was rising; the birds were singing; the air still had some overnight crispness to it.


Good morning sunshine. 

We only met 2 cars at this hour, so the dogs got to do some running free. Not that they go very far, thankfully, or they'd never be let off their leashes.


We have more house chores are going on here. I've been busy  painting the walls of our spare bedroom project, plus it is time to start doing some yard work. (When it's not raining that is.) Those types of chores are very exciting to me because it means 1) we're getting closer to finishing the bedroom project and 2) gardening season is arriving. Soon there will be pretty flowers blooming. 

I know my husband doesn't think he'll get a lot done this weekend in the spare bedroom
 because I need to finish painting the walls, but to do that we need to move the furniture back to the other side of the room, which will block the skylight that he needs to trim out.

This past week I needed to pick out wall paint colors. At first I was thinking bright walls would make the room cheery. Yellow, warm like sunshine. I could spray paint some of the "furniture" I have white before it gets put back into place.


Picking out a deep warm yellow paint is practically impossible.  After several attempts I ended up here. I like this color, but not for my art space.  I decided that it was too much color for my small room. I think the walls would be way too distracting  when trying to make art.  

I decide my art should have the color, and my walls are not the art. I have lots of paint left though, so I can use this someplace else. Hmmmm. I'll have to think about that.

I then decided to paint the walls a nice basic even a little bit dull beige. Ignore the lighter spots on the walls where there is still some wet paint.


I guess my wall colors are like today's sunshine. Bright for a little bit and then clouded over.

I do like the effect on the drips on the floor though. 

And I think this color will work great for the room.

The good news is I did find a very colorful rug to put under my worktable so I don't ruin the new floor (when it gets put in) with anything I spill.  The rug is even one of those outdoor kinds so I can remove it and spray if down with the hose if I need to. And if I spray paint the few pieces of "furniture" a brighter color, I think I'll get a nice balance in this space. You'll have to wait to see all that until the room is more complete though.

That's all that's new here. I hope you have a wonderful day of sunshine. 










17 comments:

Mae Travels said...

You are so right about the difficulty of finding a good shade of yellow. We made a mistake once and lived with it for over a decade! I see your point about color in the art not on the wall.

best... mae at maefood.blogspot.com

kathyinozarks said...

I love the more neutral color so much better-but I am Not a bright color girl-smiles-pops of color elsewhere like your rug is perfect.
we got a freeze last night brrr and will be a slow warm up today tomorrow will be much warmer. enjoy your weekend hugs

Valerie-Jael said...

I much prefer neutral wall colours to bright ones, you can add colour with pics and a bright rug for example. Love the early morning photos, this is such a wonderful time of day! Enjoy your weekend, don't do too much Hugs, Valerie

DVArtist said...

I so enjoy your walks. I like neutral colors with a spot of bright somewhere. Thanks just me. Have a love day.

Jeanie said...

Yellow is tough. Too pastel and it looks wimpy; too dark and it comes right at you too harshly. I think you were wise to repaint a more neutral color and let your art take over the job of color in your space. Can't wait to see the rug!

Angie's Recipes said...

Beige is good, Erika.I can't wait to see your art room :-) Lovely morning sunshine!

LA Paylor said...

so much goodness... a freshened studio space, two gorgeous happy dogs, and sun

carol l mckenna said...

Beautiful nature photo walk with you and the sweet doggies too ~ Room is coming along well ~ what a great place it will be for you ~ Xo

Wishing you love and laughter in your days,

A ShutterBug Explores,
aka (A Creative Harbor)

craftytrog said...

Lovely photos of your walk Erika! We slept in today, and I really missed our early walk.
Your beautiful colourful art is going to look great on those walls.
Happy weekend,
Alison

Iris Flavia said...

A great way to start the day! :-)
And the color you chose is perfect. The yellow is great, but, yes, too much.
Looking forward, really, to see the finished room!
Have a happy Sunday, hugs :-)

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

When we installed a new kitchen at our VA home, I painted the walls painted a very bright yellow, much like the shade shown in the first photo here, Erika. Until the cabinets were put in, the color was a bit overpowering, but once everything was in place, it was the most cheerful room in the house. I also painted the first floor bathroom in my favorite color, purple!

Let's Art Journal said...

Such lovely photos from your walk! I chose a similar colour for my craft room and made it more colourful with painted furniture, art pieces and a rug - fabulous 😀. I bet your space will look amazing when it's finished. Happy and creative wishes! Hugs Jo x

Lowcarb team member said...

Just love your first photograph.

I think neutral colours work so well, your lovely art will provide colour.

All the best Jan

NatureFootstep said...

that was a very beautiful morning :)

David M. Gascoigne, said...

Brightness inside and out sounds like a good recipe for happiness to me, Erika. I always think that any renovation project seems to drag on when you get near the end, but when it's all done you will be so satisfied with it all. I am sure that the end is in sight! Hugs, David

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I was delighted to read you decided to go neutral on then walls. I went with bright gloss white in my basement studio, but that is because there are no windows there. I know you will be much happier. I also painted a room yellow once and it took me about two years before I changed colors. You are doing great with your choice, dear.

Divers and Sundry said...

I kinda like the yellow, but your point about it not being the best color for your art space is well taken. It's coming along quickly!

I love the scenes of your wooded walks. It looks peaceful.