Thursday, February 16, 2023

Beach and Bread

 Hi everyone. Happy Thursday. 


The other day for T Day I was unloading about my February slump and mentioning that this week low tide at the beach worked for walking. Hurrah for that. I took the dogs down on Monday morning, and  even if the wind off the ocean wasn't exactly warm I pulled  my scarf up over my face and pulled my hat all the way down over my ears and walked on. The dogs didn't care if it was windy. They love walking at the beach as much as I do.

Monday the beach was really empty (probably because the wind was so cold), and I could even give the dogs a bit of off leash time.  This next photo  looks like layers in a dessert to me but it's actually looking up to some rocks along the seawall (from where I was standing) and including the sand  by my feet.


A huge tree stump had been washed ashore during one of the recent storms, and in the process it also gathered a little sand on it.   I think it looks more like a rock than a tree stump.


But maybe you'd just prefer to see the beach. (This is Long Sands Beach in York, Maine.) See what I mean about it being empty?


I also drove over to Nubble Lighthouse which is very close to the beach.  I never took a photo of the lighthouse (mainly because I seem to have a lot of them), but I did get a couple of interesting photos of this couple down on the rocks.



The ocean was pretty rough at that point because the tide was coming in. I caught some nice wave sprays when those waves crashed into the rocks.








And  today  Rain's Art and Dinner Date has a theme of bread.

Tuesday I tried one of my bucket list recipes, Japanese Milk Bread. 


This bread starts with a warm flour and water mixture called the tangzhong. The tangzhong is what (so I read) gives the bread small air holes and a light and springing texture.  If you're looking for a light white bread, this is definitely one to make. It was delicious.


Here's a recipe for it from KIng Arthur Flour. I didn't use this recipe, but the one I used was almost identical. In the recipe I used, the tangzhong only contained water (1/2 cup) instead of water and milk. My recipe also explained you could make the tagzhong in a microwave, which I did. The recipe I had also didn't use any powdered milk in the dough, and instead of the 1/4 cup of sugar I only used 2 Tablespoons. I found my recipe in America's Test Kitchen  Bread Illustrated cookbook.

I think next time I might try making smaller pieces and baking them in a square pan because this bread would make delicious dinner rolls. And thanks Rain for this theme this week because I've spent too much time procrastinating making this bread.  

OK, that's all for me. Have a great rest of your week and weekend too. 

















23 comments:

CJ Kennedy said...

My eyes turned green at your walk along Long Sands. I don't think I've ever seen Long Sands empty. You got some beautiful water shots at Nubble Light. Your Japanese milk bread looks awesome and delicious. Enjoy the "warm" weather today

kathyinozarks said...

Awesome photos Erika, your bread looks delicious
Happy Thursday

Barbara said...

Living near the ocean is the best, however we were chased back to our inland home by Hurricane Sandy in 2012. Our condo was built on pilings so it escaped major damage, but many of our neighbors lower built homes were literally blown off their foundations and gone. That was when we sold and left for good. I still miss the ocean and beaches. Your photos are beautiful. They capture the mood and are extremely artistic!

DVArtist said...

Ohhhh.... your photos are simply amazing. I can see these in a book. Ohh and the bread. King Arthor flour is some of the best. Have a lovely day today.

Jeanie said...

That beach looks almost otherworldly. And oh, that bread. It looks unbelievable.

Angie's Recipes said...

My..those beach shots are absolutely gorgeous, Erika. Tangzhong milk bread is one of my favourites. Used to bake them very often.

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

Thanks for sharing the walk you and the dogs took along the beach, Erika. While it may have been a bit windy, this is the best time of year to capture great shots of the sand and surf. Also, thanks for the bread recipe, which I printed out and may try very soon. It looks so good.

Iris Flavia said...

Wonderful, arty shots!!! Thank you!!!
And now I would like a bit of your bread. With my truffle butter and an unhappy Ingo due to the to me wonderful smell hence (he hates it) ;-)
Hugs

Gillena Cox said...

Luv your choice of B words: bread and beach
Happy Thursday

Much❤love

The Padre said...

Yes - To All Of It - YES

Well Done
Cheers

Christine said...

Gorgeous photos just gorgeous. Love your Milk Bread, have made it, yummy.

carol l mckenna said...

Awesome beach photography ~ wow!


Wishing you good health, laughter and love in your days,
A ShutterBug Explores,
aka (A Creative Harbor)

Valerie-Jael said...

Wonderful photos of the beach and sea, and the bread looks delicious! Hugs, Valerie

Mae Travels said...

Your photos have captured such a dramatic range of ocean moods, with the waves and the patterns in the sand and just a few people. Great collection of images!

best… mae at maefood.blogspot.com

Lowcarb team member said...

Oh WOW your photographs are fabulous.

Your Japanese milk bread looks delicious.

Enjoy the rest of your week and have a great weekend.

All the best Jan

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I am freezing and you shared these photos of freezing breakers. BRR. Glad it was you and not me. I may never get warm!

LOVE the look of that bread. I bet it went great with that butter, too.

Aimeslee Winans said...

Those are fabulous photos, Erika! I can really feel the power of the ocean. And the bread looks like rolls already! Brought back my memories of junior high cafeteria yeast rolls made fresh daily, they were heavenly. Sometimes we'd just buy those and pats of butter for lunch, lol. XOX

Tom said...

...Erika, your seascapes are gorgeous. Years ago I was in Maine and remember the tides, we have nothing like that here. Take care and enjoy a wonderful week.

Neet said...

Your baking always makes me feel hungry and it is well over an hour before I am due to eat.
Love the beach photos and the sea ones. The beach ones are fabulous with the snow and the tree has some fantastic colours within it that would make a fab background.
The crashing waves are just brilliant, love them, real action shots - and I do like how the photos are all tinged blue on the screen.
Great post.
Hugs, Neet xx

Andrea @ From The Sol said...

Your seaside shots and your wave sprays are spectacular ... some look like paintings. And brave you are to go out when it is so cold. As for your bread, I am all in favor of food you can cook quickly and your bread sounds delicious. This one I may give a try, though I don't normally bake at my house. Thanks for the idea ...

Andrea @ From the Sol

Fundy Blue said...

Your post is full of gorgeous photos, Erika! I especially like the tree stump with sand. It's an intriguing combination of textures and colors. The sand by the seawall definitely looks like sand washed down from mountains in the desert. And that first photo ~ I'd frame that. Your bread looks wonderful! Enjoy eating it!

Rain said...

Japanese Milk Bread!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It looks fabulous Erika! I'm definitely going to try it, maybe make a video for it, thank you for that idea!!! ♥♥♥ I'm obsessed with bread these days lol. Your beach photos are works of art! ♥

Divers and Sundry said...

Oh, my! The landscape there is calling me...

Thanks for the link to the recipe. That bread looks delicious.