Friday, February 24, 2023

Friday Face Off

Hi everyone. Happy Friday. Thursday's snowfall amount was lower than predicted (hurrah- we only got 4-5 inches/ 10-12 cm when we were predicted to get twice that), but today we have some more winter cold. It's been such a weird winter with  many mild days interspersed with a few actual winter days.

Today I have a faced filled journal page to share. Welcome to the circus.

I was going through my bin of assorted art ephemera, and  I came across this circus peanut bag I've had way too long. It has lots of red on it so I decided I should make a journal page about the circus. I haven't made a circus page in a very long time, and it was a fun change of pace.

 I am linking this up to my Seeing Red challenge at Art Journal Journey.


I inked my journal page with some blue ink to match the blue on the bag.  I think it ended up being a little too dark for my taste, but by the time I realized that, the page was done. 

Then I took out this big circus tent stamp I have and stamped it on some red inked paper. I added it to my page and then stamped this fair border image across the bottom. Once that inked border dried I used paint pens to boost the color of my tent. That little bit of orange and blue made a huge difference when it came to brightening my page.

 I added the red heart and also a small confetti red and white swirl to the top tent post. I stamped, colored and fussy cut the clown. He came out as freaky as I find clowns to be. Then I used several TH children layered to show the crowd  watching the clown. 

I added a bit of washi tape, some stamped words and also made some stamped ticket tags to put in the circus peanut bag pocket.

There are lots of faces for Nicole's  Friday Face Off this week.  I am also linking up to Gillena's Friday Lunch Break.


And I thought I would share a few flowers today, because as far as I am concerned, flowers always make the day better.







These were taken at the Sunken Garden in St. Petersburg,Florida.
That's all for me today. I hope everyone has a great end of the work week and start to the weekend. 



ps: Since a couple of you asked, here's the recipe for the muffins I posted yesterday. Sorry it's from an old cookbook and the measurements are just in English measures/ cups.

Date, Peanut Butter and Banana Muffins (with optional chocolate chips)

1) Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F or 175 degrees C. Grease or line your standard sized muffin tins.

2) Mash 4 bananas in a  bowl and add 1/2 cup of cooking oil, 1 tsp. of vanilla, 1/2 cup of any style peanut butter and 1 egg. Mix.

3) In a second bowl, combine 2 2/ 3 cups flour, 2/3 cup brown sugar, 1 tsp baking powder and 1 tsp. baking soda. Add chopped dates (around 1 1/2 cups) and chocolate chips (to your liking) and mix them in the flour mixture.

4) Add flour mixture to the banana mixture and stir with a spoon until just combined.

5) Spoon this thick batter into your prepared muffin tin and bake for 20 minutes or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean.



 

18 comments:

The Padre said...

What A Post Today - So Creative - And Love The Flowers For Sure - We Only Received A Dusting Of Snow Last Night As Our Forecast Called For 3-6 Inches - Hopefully More Is On The Way

Big Hugs,
Cheers

Valerie-Jael said...

Gorgeous journal page, great idea! The flowers are lovey, too, especially the yellow ones. And thaks for the recipe, I will be tying this syoon and will let you know how it is.... Hugs, valerie

Christine said...

Lovely page and flowers, thanks for the recipe!

Barbara said...

I’m sure I looked like a couple of those figures on your page when I was young and attended the famed Ringling brothers, Barnum, and Bailey Circus in Madison Square Garden. What fun memories! Your flowers are gorgeous, a very nice reminder for very cold weather.

CJ Kennedy said...

Such a happy page. It makes me think of the time when I was 5. Dad was away on business so Ma took the Brother and me to the circus. It was awesome. I remember a man being shot out of a cannon! Hope you didn't get too much snow. Try to stay warm before the next storm on Tues. The weather dudes are hoping it's a whopper. Not me.

pearshapedcrafting said...

What a wonderful page. I used to love it when the circus came to our town. My friend and I used to take a short cut through the circus site to catch the bus home from school, walking past tethered Elephants, horses and sometimes Lions and Tigers. Of course circuses these days are very different thankfully, but in those days it was very exciting. Flowers always brighten my days! Hugs, Chrisx

DVArtist said...

You allowed me some memories with your art. When I was a kid my mom and dad made sure we always got to go to the circus. What fun it was. I love all of the faces too. The flowers are amazing. Ohhh yes, I really like going to St. Petersburg. It is where I ate alligator for the first time. Thank you for the recipe too. I am going to try it. It is always nice to see you join in for FFO. Have a great day.

DVArtist said...

Ohhh I don't know if my comment went through. I will check back to see if it shows up. uuuhhhggg.

carol l mckenna said...

Creative collage art and gorgeous floral photos !


Wishing you good health, laughter and love in your days,
A ShutterBug Explores,
aka (A Creative Harbor)

one irrational bean said...

Great page and love those flowers. My brother moved to Portsmouth. I am up there; are you nearby? Maybe we can get together. Email me. Nan

Angie's Recipes said...

Those flowers are really beautiful!

ashok said...

Nice page. Nice flower clicks too

Tracey@Hotchpotchcreations said...

What a great focal that peanut bag is with it's red and white stripes, reminds me of old fashioned sweet bags I used to get as a child when choosing 2oz or a 1/4oz if I was lucky of loose sweets. Looking closely at the TH faces of the children some look quite unsure about going into that circus tent hee hee.. Such a great composition.. and yes flowers ALWAYS make the day better.
Have a great weekend Hugs Tracey x

Gillena Cox said...

A hearty post today Erika. Thanks for linking to Art For Fun Friday.

Much💜love

Aimeslee Winans said...

Nice flower photos and art journal page -- I believe I spy some Artistic Outpost Vintage Circus sentiment words, lol. I have that set too. Glad your snow fall was less than projected, stay warm, xoxo

LA Paylor said...

erika, your flowers! beautiful!
LeeAnna

Divers and Sundry said...

_Only_ 4-5 inches?! That's be a huge amount here. They get flowers in Florida when we don't have a sign of them. We do have daffodils and hyacinths already, though.

NatureFootstep said...

hm, made me realise it was decades since I visited circus, ;)