Wednesday, February 1, 2023

Seeing Red

 Hi everyone. Happy February to you. It's good to be one month closer to spring, even though February is often the snowiest month here in New Hampshire. 

Thank you again Mia for hosting over at Art Journal Journey during January. And once again, I also want to thank everyone who joined us with their photo journal pages. It was a fun month, and I loved seeing the different types and arrangement of photos that people used.

As it's a new month, it is time for a new challenge. This month I am hosting. 

I love color, and for a while I have wanted to pick out and focus on just  one color. I thought it would be fun to see what can be learned and where art can go if I did this.  Since I am hosting at Art Journal Journey, I figured this month would be a good time to give this single color theme a try. Plus,  there's the  benefit that we can all see what other people can do with that color.  Maybe we can all learn one or two new things.

When picking out my color I was thinking of blue or maybe  green because they are my favorites, but then I came across this rubber stamp in my collection  that helped me make my decision.

This month the new challenge is

Seeing Red

(Or should I write it Seeing Red?)

Here's my first page for the month. You can see I added my poem to this collaged page.



I made my page with lots of red items from my stash, including tickets from a collage sheet, some  panels that I cut out of a magazine page after I painted them red, a die cut heart as well as some red letter stickers. To pull my collage together I splattered some white paint on my page, I left the stamped poem white, and I used some black paper rings. (What do you call those things you use on notebook holes?) I finished my page by using the round end of some foam pipe insulation and white paint to stamp the big circles.

And no, you do NOT need to make a page that is almost all red as I did, but please use red in a way that it stands out on your page. The theme of your page is yours. You could use red objects like apples, or you could make your background red.  And since it is February, if you like the heart shape as I do, you could add red hearts.

But if you're feeling it, you could make a totally red page. That is up to you.

And remember there are different shades of red, so feel free to use any shade of red, and since pink is just red with lots of white in it, feel free to use pink also. I'd even say red-orange works, but keep it on the red side. The same could be said for a red-purple color too.

I believe it was Picasso who went through different art periods, so this will be my and hopefully your red period. Smile.

And I know red can be difficult to use, so I'm also hoping that none of us will get absolutely sick  or frustrated with red as the month goes on.

Thanks for visiting, and I hope you'll join in to my challenge. I'm looking forward to seeing your red inspired art at AJJ.

PS: Oh yes, and let me add  the dreaded Rules at AJJ say no cards, tags, ATC's, or art other than art journaling. Any kind of art journaling is accepted, but it must be art journaling!








23 comments:

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I like your red period, Erika. It is going to be a fun month because I hope to find lots of red, like you have. I think the rings you are referring to are called hole reinforcers. You certainly found a lot of great red. I really like how it emphasizes your theme at AJJ, too. You certainly pulled out all the stops on this great page.



Hels said...

I realise "you do NOT need to make a page that is almost all red as I did, but please use red in a way that it stands out on your page."

I did exactly that, not re blogging, but re finding an adorable redhead husband :) And then having redhead children.

https://melbourneblogger.blogspot.com/2015/12/red-hair-adored-or-despised.html

pearshapedcrafting said...

I was just a little bit worried when I first saw the title of your theme but when I got started began to feel happier. Having seen this fabulous page I know that I am going to really enjoy it. I love the touches of white and the red elements you have used, especially the prompts on the stamp. Hugs, Chrisx

wendy kirk said...

A great theme for AJJ Erika and I love your page. The whole layout and page are fabulous. Hugs Wendy.

Angie's Recipes said...

Such a fun theme! I love your page..so beautiful and creative.

kathyinozarks said...

Great new theme Erika, and I love your stamp-that was a good find. Lovely journal page-Happy first day of February hugs Kathy

Iris Flavia said...


Same here, usually February we might get snow. Ack.
You forgot us: "RED kitchen" ;-)
I, surprise, cannot comment on that page anymore.
But I can focus on red when I find time (back to long work hours again, and the darn taxes-thing hits me again, too, arrrr).
AND!!! Fit enough - I started training again yesterday! To better times, hugs

Sharon Fritchman said...

Thanks, Erika for hosting this month's AJJ challenge! I love your theme and especially like that the inspiration came from your FABULOUS rubber stamp! I really like how you used it on your page, and especially love that your page is a totally red one! It's absolutely beautiful. And thanks so much for your wonderful visit to my blog! Your kind words are much appreciated! Thanks once again, Sharon

DVArtist said...

I am loving this challenge. Give me red any time. Wonderful post. Have a great day today.

CJ Kennedy said...

Fabulous page and a perfect color for this month. Bright and bold to get us through the next 666 dreary days of Winter. Enjoy your outing and stay warm.

Jeanie said...

I think this will be a very fun series of challenges! I like what you did very much.

Valerie-Jael said...

Fabulous journal page, Erika- a beautiful red page full of interest. Today I wore a red beret and red sneakers! Hugs, Valerie, have fun with the challenge!

Divers and Sundry said...

It'll be fun to see all the interpretations of "red".

Barbara said...

Wow, so many RED words! Lots of material for this month’s theme.

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

Erika, red is the perfect color for this month, even though my personal preference is purple which is a combo of red and blue.

kathyinozarks said...

Hi Erika, I have one of those spiral watercolor books I am doing my art practices in-would that count as a journal page for AJJ? thanks Kathy

Neet said...

I remember, years ago, I did a painting all in blue. I loved it and felt I had achieved something wonderful with all the different shades I managed to get. So this is a fab challenge to use red in a similar way.
I had to be content with using all the different reds in my Promarkers on the clothing of the girls I featured on my pink page. Hope it falls within the boundaries of your chosen theme which I know I am going to love.
Your page is fabulous and that stamp you found all about things in RED is Ab Fab!
Hugs, Neet xx

craftytrog said...

It's a great new challenge Erika, and I absolutely love your red page!
Looking forward to joining in.
Hugs,
Alison

David M. Gascoigne, said...

This makes me think of red in my life. The first thought that springs to mind is the vivid scarlet of a male Northern Cardinal. It doesn't get much better than that. Next, a wine-dipped Purple Finch appears, a different red, but very appealing. Pretty soon American Robins with their red breast will be joining the other species in the backyard. Perhaps if we are lucky a few Common Redpolls might show up. I just realized that I have only mentioned birds. i wonder how that happened!😀 Hugs - David

Elkes Lebensglück said...

A great idea with the topic of you and your Jornal has become a great work of art. Have fun hosting. I wish you a happy February, hug-Elke

kwarkito said...

I do like this work. you're very talented

Aimeslee Winans said...

Thanks for the chuckle, Erika, the thought of a Picasso Red Period, lol. Also made me happy I've been through menopause (heehee). Very nice red page to kick things off and happy you are allowing pink as well. And by the way, our bread turned out perfect, it rose so high it was butting up against the lid window. Delicious toast and garlic bread. We are King Arthur converts now! XOX

Rika said...

Stunning page!!