Wednesday, February 15, 2023

Heart Overload

Hi everyone. 

I hope your week has been lovely so far.  

Today I have another page for my Seeing Red challenge at Art Journal Journey. Keeping in mind that yesterday was Valentine's Day, I used some hearts. OK,  I got a little carried away with the hearts on my page, but I will explain why if you read on.

Hopefully you won't mind all the hearts as it seemed like I ran out  of time finishing this page before Valentine's Day.


I started my page with a partial piece of vintage notebook style paper that had some red writing on it. Then to add pieces to my base page, I cut apart an old journal page  that I really didn't like. The little metal key came off that  old now cut up page as well as the Cupid image. I also cut out some painted hearts from that page.



I knew I wanted to add the key to the window frame, and I really liked the Cupid in the corner of that  notebook style paper which was already attached to my  in progress page. I decided to layer the  painted hearts I had cut out of my old  page on the top right and bottom left of my new page. (You can see one heart in the above photo.) I glued them down, and then took a look at what I had done. That's when I decided that  I disliked the hearts as much on this new page as I did on the now chopped up page. 

Oh no.
 I tried outlining those hearts and adding paint dots to them to see if I could like any better, but no, those techniques  didn't work.  I also tried adding some stamped hearts around the page to distract my eye from those ugly red hearts.  I liked the stamping, but it didn't distract from those painted hearts. Nor did spraying the page with some red ink help fix those "stupid" painted hearts. (Or at least the way I had arranged them.)

OK,  it was time to cover them up. I did that by using a big sheet of red cardstock and a heart die. With several runs through the machine I made a whole big pile of hearts. Then I added them to my page like crazy. 


After all that, I really like my page, especially after I added the key and the chipboard window. Sometimes making a page really is  an art journal journey, just as the name of this challenge states. 

 And thanks so much for visiting my blog.



 

14 comments:

Valerie-Jael said...

Wonderful page, you can never have too many hearts or too much love! My heart will follow tomorrow, I'm having a day off today. Hugs, Valerie

Angie's Recipes said...

Such a beautiful love page! I really enjoy the touch of that metal key.

CJ Kennedy said...

I enjoyed your process. I like the Raphael cherub peeking out of the corner. Enjoy your walk on the beach today

Christine said...

Lovely hearts!

Divers and Sundry said...

It's interesting to hear how it came together, and I like all those sweet hearts :)

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...


That truly WAS a journey and a fabulous one that developed over time. You can never have too many hearts or angels. This is a remarkable entry and one of my favorites this month. Thanks for sharing this with us at AJJ using your great theme.

kathyinozarks said...

Gorgeous page

Iris Flavia said...

There can never be too many hearts, as love itself.
That´s the key!
And what a journey...
It came out super-LOVEly! hugs

Tracey@Hotchpotchcreations said...

Thanks for sharing the process Erika I'm glad you persevered with your layout, those troublesome hearts made the perfect backdrop for your die cut gathering. The key is a special attention to detail. Beautiful work.
Hugs Tracey xx

Elkes Lebensglück said...

I am enthusiastic about your heart journal page, well thought out and implemented, beautiful!
Happy day, hug -Elke

Aimeslee Winans said...

Oh, I'm finding this so humorous, don't know where to begin. First, I've read several other people having difficulties with their makes, so you are not alone. Also, on Tuesday after we exchanged gifts, I took the red with little white hearts tissue paper out of my gift bag, wadded it up and flattened it and matte mediumed it to a spread in one of my art journals to make a red page. That's taken 2 days to dry thoroughly and now I have to get re-motivated to continue. What is this, the Ides of February? hahaha That frame is a cool touch. If you are happy with your page then that is all that matters. Like I told someone else, you'll look at it and remember what you overcame and feel proud of yourself for the save. XOX

pearshapedcrafting said...

Definitely an art journal journey - sometimes, as this one, leading to a really great place! I love your vibrant red hearts. It's a beautiful page with lots of interesting details! A great example of perseverance for your 'Red' theme at Art Journal Journey. Hugs, Chrisx

Neet said...

I so wish I had had time to do a heart page. Your hearts are aplenty but just perfect for the time of year and I love that cherub peeking out in the bottom corner. He looks very pensive. Maybe wondering about the key and the window, 'shall I shan't I climb through and unlock the heart?'
Hugs, Neet xx

Neet said...

Oops! I got an error so my comment disappeared.
I love the page, love all the hearts, you can never have too many hearts and the cherub peeking out in the bottom corner looks very pensive. maybe he is thinking about that key and the window "shall I or should I not climb up through the window and unlock that key to someone's heart".
Hugs, Neet xx