Thursday, February 2, 2023

Today's Post is about Red

 Hi everyone. Happy Thursday and happy February 2 to you.

I'm here today with some second looks for Second on the Second which you can join over at Bleubeard's and Elizabeth's blog . All you need to do is repost something you've already shown on your blog before.

These journal pages are ones I posted in 2016, 2017 and 2018. I chose them because they are very red.  Seeing Red is my theme over at Art Journal Journey this month, and I had been looking back  to see how I've used red on journal pages in the past.





Since it is Thursday, it is time for Rain's Art and Dinner Date. Today her theme is Fruit.

I am showing a few photos of an apple and strawberries, for they are red (at least the ones in my photos are red), and I'm sticking with red in today's post. These photos are from last year (2021) when I went strawberry picking in June and then  apple picking in the fall.




I am going to make a maraschino cherry and walnut pound cake because it was my Dad's favorite cake, and every early February I think of it since it is getting close to his birthday.If he was alive he would have been 99 this year.  I had  hoped I would have made it by now (and the cherries are even red), but I needed cream cheese and only picked it up  later yesterday. I'll have to show that cake some other time. 

And I'll finish my post not with a second look but with a new page for my Seeing Red challenge at Art Journal Journey.


Today I combined red with black,  grey and a big silver moon.  The red really pops against these colors.
I used a stencil and red paint for some of my background, and then I used some black and silver spray ink. The bird section is part of a napkin that I received in last summer's T day anniversary swap. The slightly modified boy is from TH, and I added some red cloth trim as well as the silver metallic die cut moon.

Sorry for the long post today. If you made it this far, thanks .  Wishing you a great rest of the week and weekend ahead. 



21 comments:

kathyinozarks said...

Good morning Erika, beautiful post-loved everything. The cake for the remembrance of your father sounds delicious. Those strawberries yum-I used to go out to farms and pick the fruits-so good. Love your last page for AJJ's (and your) red. Happy Thursday hugs

Iris Flavia said...

I love the color red (just in front of me is a plate in red where I had my lunch from).
Good reminder, my W told me to buy apples! Oh, and I hope my strawberry-plats survived, too.
Love your pages, hugs!

CJ Kennedy said...

Red, fiery hot to ward off the cold Winter blast. Apples and strawberries reminders of warmer times. Stay warm!

Debra She Who Seeks said...

What luscious red fruit photos! And I love all your "red" collages too!

Christine said...

Love your red theme, lovely pages and fruit photos for Rain's theme.

Divers and Sundry said...

The "red" theme gives you so much room! Nice.

Valerie-Jael said...

Lovely red art fro the past, and the grey and redpiece from today is very elegant, love it. Hugs, Valerie
And I'm wearing red sneakers and a red beret today!

Elkes Lebensglück said...

Wonderfully designed journal page and these delicious red fruits, I'll be glad when it's summer again! Have a good day, hug Elke

Empire of the Cat said...

I really love that first one with the black butterflies, it's a great contrast. Also the apple looks really delicious as does the strawberries. Happy Second on the Second! Elle/EOTC xx

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

What a great way to look back on red. I think these are all lovely and I was happy you shared these beauties with us for your second look. I LOVED the first journal page you shared and how much you put into Time to Let it go. Thanks for these lovely journal pages you gave us as your second look on the 2nd. And who doesn't love a great apple or strawberry?

Darla said...

I enjoyed seeing red. The art pages are great. The pile of staawberries makes me long for strawberry picking season. Have a lovely day.

carol l mckenna said...

Beautiful and very creative collage art ~


Wishing you good health, laughter and love in your days,
A ShutterBug Explores,
aka (A Creative Harbor)

Tom said...

...those strawberries look delicious on this cold winter day, thanks.

Tracey@Hotchpotchcreations said...

I love the colour red, so expressive especially with grey or black.. the lace strip on your present post is a grand addition what a great February theme for AJJ nice to see you in the host seat. I don't believe I've seen those past artworks before but I especially love the bold black butterflies.
Thanks so much for the welcome back, it means so much to me.
Wishing you a creative weekend Hugs Tracey xx

Jeanie said...

Beautiful reds and lovely art today. It's such a terrific color for this month -- so much room to work with! Love your texture!

NatureFootstep said...

you have several of my favorites today. Butterflies, strawberries and balloons
:) :) I see summer comming. :)

Andrea @ From The Sol said...

Hi Erika, love your new Header :) And if you love the color red, you will for sure love this post. So are the people in your "Butterflies" journal page, friends, family or nobody you know? Just curious :) Love all the fresh fruit. I and my son and his family go apple, strawberry and raspberry picking every year. It is a wonderful experience (especially for the kids) and there is nothing more delicious than fresh picked fruit (or vegies, for that matter). So red makes me think of warm which is what I hope you are able to stay in these cold winter days. Looking forward to the next picking season, right?

Andrea @ From the Sol

Rain said...

Your journal pages are lovely! I do love all the reds in your post today Erika! Now I'm craving some strawberries!!! ☺ The cake sounds like it'll be delicious!

Aimeslee Winans said...

Wow, look at all the red, lots of gorgeous journal pages and delicious-looking fruit. Can't wait to see that cake, xoxo

Sharon Fritchman said...

I love your older pages, Erika! WOW! They are all so beautiful!!! And the photos of "red" fruit are perfect, too. I especially love your new page - it's gorgeous. You have such a wonderful talent for art journal pages. This background is so beautiful - the red stenciling reminds me of an old sweater I have!!! And the boy with the red heart is just perfect for the sentiment you chose. Thanks so much for sharing your talents with all of us and for hosting the AJJ challenge this month.

Neet said...

Thank you for showing us all the old pages Erika, I loved them but the new one stole the show for me, love it.
Thank you for all the inspirational red photos you have shared with us. I was thinking the one with the strawberries would make a fabulous background for a journal page if it was blown up.
Hugs, Neet xx