Friday, February 17, 2023

Florida Journal

Hi everyone. Happy Friday.

Today for Nicole's Friday Face Off and for  Gillena's Friday Lunch Break let me share this vintage photo.


The little girl on the right is my daughter, and the girl on the left is her cousin.  The girls were 5 and 6 here, and we were on a 2 family Disney trip back in 1996 or 1997 (I can't remember the exact year but it was the 25th anniversary of Disney World). It was a fun trip, but I remember it was really cold, which none of us packed for. 

The reason I'm sharing this photo is that the girls are now 30 and 31, and  this week they're back at Disney  World with their husbands. This is a celebration for their husband's birthdays, since they both married men who were born on the same day. I hope they're having as much fun as they did when they were kids. 

And speaking of Florida, let me share a few photos of a trip journal I have started. I'm having so much fun making this little book that I'm buzzing right through this project.


I used an old book and cut out all of the pages so I could use the covers. I painted and stenciled the covers with some bright colors, and then I covered the spine with some duct tape. I bought this Florida gator sticker  because I liked the vintage look of it. We did visit the Sunken Gardens, although I wish it didn't say Sunken Gardens on the sticker. But oh well, it is what it is.

My journal pages alternate between white watercolor paper and also some heavy duty kraft paper. I like the sizes of the pages to vary slightly, as you might notice in my final photo. I made 3 thin signatures for this book, and I machine stitched down the fold of each signature to hold the signature together. A quick, easy and bit of cheating book binding technique I learned is to use heavy duty tape between the last and the first page of each signature. That connects the signatures together. Then I used more of the heavy duty tape and connected the very first page of my connected signatures to the front cover and the very last page to the back cover. You do lose some actual journal pages this way which you wouldn't do if you stitched the binding to the cover, and it definitely isn't as pretty as the stitches can be. However; it's fast, and it works as long as you use heavy duty double sided tape.

My journal pages contain a mixture of items from my stash, trip info, and any little bits of pieces I managed to accumulate on the trip. Some you probably know that already though because I say it every time I make a trip journal. Smile.

One of the first pages was about our flight down. It was a great flight since there were only 14 passengers on the plane. The flight attendants were joking that they hoped we enjoyed our private flight. I'm sure they were also happy because, since we flew down on a Saturday evening, this was the last leg of their day and it wasn't a crowded flight for them to deal with.  I must say, I've never been on a commercial flight with that few people before.

There are also lots of faces on this page, if you include the mechanical gauge faces too.



You can also see the pilot's face when I lift up the tag. (Not our pilot obviously-smile.)

And here's the other half of the  spread.  It's the smaller white watercolor page, and it is not attached to the kraft paper page behind it. 

I wonder what the face behind the helmet looks like.


I'm also linking this post up to Art Journal Journey where this month's theme is Seeing Red. My flight page has some definite pops of red on it.

Happy start to your weekend. I hope it's a nice one. 




















17 comments:

Angie's Recipes said...

Have never been to a Disney World...not even sure if we have one here..beautiful pages!

Jeanie said...

How fun for your daughter to return to Disney! I hope (and know) they'll have a wonderful time.

I'm loving your Florida journal -- you have the best way of doing your travel journals and this doesn't disappoint!

CJ Kennedy said...

Such a sweet photo of the girlies. Himself and I went to Disney World as part of our honeymoon. We went on their Big Red Boat Cruise for 4 days and had 4 days at the theme park. Fun journal you're making. I like the colors of the cover and the vintage pilot and gauges. Very cool. Stay warm and dry today

DVArtist said...

Now how can one go wrong with the faces in that first photo. The girls are so cute and to think they are back at Disney 25 or so years later. I love your art and thank you for sharing with FFO. Have a lovely day. https://beadwright.blogspot.com/2023/02/friday-face-off-21723.html

sirkkis said...

This is the sweetest picture I have seen for long time ๐Ÿ‘ฉ‍❤️‍๐Ÿ’‹‍๐Ÿ‘ฉ
Thanks for sharing ๐Ÿ˜
Journal pages are fine and well done.
Enjoy the weekend, my friend ๐Ÿ˜Š๐Ÿ’

kathyinozarks said...

What a lovely story about your daughter and Disney World. Your Florida Journal is wonderful! Happy Friday and weekend
Hugs Kathy

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

That was a cute look-back photo, Erika, and maybe when they all return, you will have an updated one to post for comparison. yes, Patrick is planning to try a recipe from the Jamie Oliver One Pan cookbook next week, short ribs slow-cooked in the oven. I will try to remember to take a photo or two.

Rostrose said...

So cute, the vintage photo, dear Erika! My daughter was born in 1993, and in the summer of 1998 we vacationed in Florida and (of course! ;-DD) we also visited Disney World (three times during that vacation...). It wasn't cold here, on the contrary, it was very hot. We bought a small hand-held fan, which you can also use to spray your face wet. I can still remember standing in line for HOURS just to be able to shake hands with Mickey Mouse (Jana ABSOLUTELY wanted that ;-DDD) I didn't really like that part, but I liked everything else. Hope the two young women and their birthday husbands are enjoying the current trip! Your Florida journal looks great, too - such a wonderful idea and so beautifully done!
ALL THE BEST from Austria!
Traude
❤️
PS: Thank you for your lovely comment on my Costa Rica travelogue! You asked me "And did you see any turtles?" - Yes, we saw ONE baby turtle in Tortuguero, sooo cute, you'll meet it in the next post! And then later on two different sea trips we saw big turtles in the water. Partly while snorkeling, very close! A great experience!

Christine said...

Beautiful pages and what a lovely gathering at Disney for the birthdays!

carol l mckenna said...

Oh sweet vintage photo as well other travel photos/creations ~

Wishing you good health, laughter and love in your days,
A ShutterBug Explores,
aka (A Creative Harbor)

Neet said...

What a coincidence that both girls married men with the same birth dates. That is a terrific photo of the two of them with the characters.
Wow, this trip journal looks fabulous, I love the cover and the idea of the pilots face peeking out.
I have so enjoyed viewing this.
Hugs, Neet xx

Fundy Blue said...

Thanks for sharing the adorable photo of your daughter and her cousin at Disneyland. It's precious. Your trip journal must have been a lot of fun to put together. It's really cool. I'm at that stage in life where I'm trying to downsize to fewer things. Photographs, letters, and other documents are my challenge. I really like the "Space Coast page. Happy weekend to you, Erika!

Iris Flavia said...

Sweet pic and story (why does time run so fast?).

Hm. You really gave me the idea to check what I have from our travels through Australia and start a journal, too.
Would be practical! A book, not a box with "everything from everything"!

Only 14 people?!!! I would get scared.... Though, great, too!

Great book! Thank you for the smiles and the idea, hugs

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

Loved the back story of the trip to Disney World photo. Personally, I liked Disney World better than Disneyland in Anaheim, although it was less crowded at Disneyland the day a few friends from CA and I went. My friends bought a block of tickets, so I didn't pay a cent at Disneyland. As I recall, Disney World cost a fortune a few years later!!

I'm loving your travel journal. I really love seeing your journals you make when you get home. Looks like I need to buy some heavy tape! Thanks for this great entry using your theme at AJJ, dear.

Aimeslee Winans said...

Your trip journals are always so interesting and uniquely you. Now, that adorable photo memory brings back memories to ME because we were also there in 1996 for the anniversary. And our daughters were both blondes with almost the same haircuts, hehe. Mine was 7, almost 8 going into 3rd grade that summer. I remember not wanting to go so soon and then a good friend advised me to go before she lost her love for Disney. She was wearing a Lion King t-shirt in her 2nd grade school picture, so the timing was still okay, lol. Even so, she was just as interested in Universal Studios. XOX

Elkes Lebensglรผck said...

Nice to see your daughter and cousin and now they are as old as mine. Great the photo! You can always go there. Fabulous, the Florida travel book looks so beautiful with the different pages!
Happy sunday, hug Elke

Divers and Sundry said...

I've never taken a family trip, but it sounds like fun. I've also never been to any of the Disney amusement parks. I'm missing out! :)