Sunday, December 31, 2023

An Artful Look Back at 2023

 Hi everyone. Happy last day of 2023 to you.

Do you like to look back on the past year and take stock of the year that has or is about to wrap up? I like to see what I accomplished, where I fell short, and what I could have or should have changed. It helps me look and maybe see where I want to go forward in the new year. One look back  that I don't mind sharing is my artful look back. Sometimes I don't feel like I've accomplished much variety of art, but after looking back through my blog all year, I can say it was a pretty good artful year. ❤

Warning-this is a bit of a long post today. 

1-A Florida Travel journal

You might remember the hubby and I tried to escape the cold for a week in late January, and we headed down to Florida. When I came home I made a great little travel journal using an old book cover and some sewn in pages.




2- Charleston Travel Journal

I did the same thing after I spent a long weekend away with a friend in May. This time I made my journal in a small (bought) ringed notebook.



3- Iceland Travel Journal

And my last travel journal for 2023 was from my early June trip to Iceland. Sadly I haven't yet finished it. ๐Ÿ˜• But since it hasn't gone anywhere, I have plans to get it done soon before I head off someplace else. This journal has pages that are sewn in to an old recycled book cover.




4- My Bee Journal

In the spring I made another journal to keep track of my 2023 bee adventures and also to put in some random artsy pages. I put too many pages in this journal, so I will continue to use it to record my 2024 bee adventures also.



5- I was a guest designer over at More Than Words back in January. Thank you ladies for having me.


6-In the spring  I made a junk journal to do a bit of work table and paper pile cleaning
for this journal I just folded some 81/2 x11 inch paper in half and then stitched it together. It has not hardbound cover.




7- I joined many Tag Tuesday challenges






8- In November I won the challenge over at Creative Artiste Mixed Media with this piece. 
Thank you ladies for your support. 


9- I hosted AJJ in February with my RED challenge
I learned a lot about using the color red, which was my goal with this topic.




10- I made a few cards 
 I feel like I have to be so neat making cards (mainly I have to keep my dirty fingers from getting prints all over the card front-๐Ÿ˜). I used to make a lot of cards, and I've since gotten away from doing that. To change that, I made a few in 2023 that I was really happy with.




11- I also made some postcard collages
I was still using up those never ending accumulating scraps.


12- I did a few paintings; here's one I shared online
I definitely need more practice painting. ๐Ÿ˜


13-  I started (and now just need to sew together) an autumn themed cloth journal
And I definitely need to do more sewing in 2024.




14- I made a fun bingo card Halloween book:




15- I almost finished an old phone directory Christmas journal:
I have 5 letters left. Anyone have any ideas for the letter K that goes with Christmas?





16- And I made A LOT of art journal pages.

For the sake of brevity, I'll share more about those journal pages some other time.
Yes, it was a good art year. In 2024, I hope to expand what I do. I want to get back to some jewelry making (which I haven't done in years) and fabric dyeing (which has also been on hiatus for a few years). I'd like to do more fabric art, and finish up the journals and projects I need to complete. I have a new trip journal in mind, and of course, lots of  journal pages. As the cliche goes, variety is the spice of life.

I also want to thank everyone for the inspiration you shared  in 2023. My art gets better because of you sharing your art.
 
Have a great last few hours of 2023 or start to 2024, depending on when you read this post. I'll back tomorrow with some New Years wishes. 















 


15 comments:

kathyinozarks said...

Good morning, I really enjoyed seeing your art from this year.
Happy New Year

Valerie-Jael said...

Great to see your art again, and good that you have plans for the coming year. I hope you can enjoy lots of trips again in the coming year. Stay healthy and happy and creative. Hugs to you, your family and the doggies.Valerie๐Ÿ˜‡

David M. Gascoigne, said...

I have never had a travel journal per se. I make notes while I’m away, mainly so that I can refer to them for creating a blog post later. Beyond that, nothing much at all, and I don’t keep my notes once I am done . I have wished the odd time that I had kept more copious notes about a given topic or event, but perhaps we have all done that. Maybe I should have used people like Darwin and von Humboldt as a guide to note-keeping and I would have returned with volumes! All the best for 2024 - David

Angie's Recipes said...

Erika, you had a really productive 2023! I look forward to more creations from you in 2024!
Happy New Year!

Tom said...

...Erika, I wish you a Healthy and Happy New Year!

CJ Kennedy said...

A fun look back at your creativity this year. I love the little piggy card. I hope you have another Happy and Creative New Year.

Divers and Sundry said...

You've had a full year! I'm looking forward to seeing your jewelry-making. Happy 123123!

Iris Flavia said...

I absolutely LOVE all your art!
Btw - ... thank you so much, see Thursday - your card has arrived!!
And jewelry making sounds great, too!
I have no real goals yet but trying to make more cards ;-) "Too much work" is a bad excuse!!!
Here it´s only 4:30 p.m. but the darn fireworks start already!
I thank you, too, big for your inspiration and motivation and I wish you a supergreat 2024! Hugs to that!

Let's Art Journal said...

Wow, I loved looking back on 2023 with you and what a creative year you had, thanks for all the inspiration ๐Ÿ˜Š. Wishing you a very Happy New Year! All the best for 2024, may it be full of peace, good health and happiness ❤️. Hugs, Jo x

Christine said...

You have had a wonderful prolific year of art! Happy New Year Erika!

Lowcarb team member said...

Good to look back on your year.
Wishing you a happy and healthy 2024.

All the best Jan

peppylady (Dora) said...

I like yearly review. I only did one for 2023. Maybe I can add a few more for 2024.

DVArtist said...

Really a wonderful look back. You had quite a few adventures this last year. Wishing for you more adventure for 2024.

*Vicki* said...

I absolutely love your idea of the travel journal! I think I need to try that out at some point! This is such an amazing look back at your projects and inspiration! Thank you for sharing them with us! Happy New Year friend and here's to looking ahead for a bright 2024 too!

Jeanie said...

This is a really fun look-back, Erika. I so admire your work, the diversity of it, your textures, your use of different media to create. Your travel journals are my favorites and I'm also seeing some here I don't remember! Onward to a new creative year!