Saturday, December 9, 2023

Weekend Art

Hi everyone. Happy weekend to you. Today I have an art post because I want to share some recently made pieces, especially a tag for Michele's theme at Tag Tuesday before that challenge ends. 

I'll start with a new page in my journal for Wendy's Above Us Only Sky at Art Journal Journey.




Today's page started with me using up some extra clear sparkle paint. The paint dries clear but these cool sparkles are left behind. It does create some fun texture, and even better since I got the bottle for under a dollar on a markdown table. (Now I wish I had bought a couple more at the price they were.) 😏

After the paint dried,I  randomly inked my page with a blue ink pad and added  some punch out images. I thought the gear clusters were shaped like clouds, so I used the 2 that were in the booklet. One I used whole, and the other one I snipped in half. After I glued them down I took some white gesso and sponged it on them. I wanted them to look like clouds with gears in them. Once the gesso dried I took a black Stabilo pencil as well as a wet paintbrush and made the cloud border. After that I glued down the planes and also the quote. That quote came from the same punch out book.

As I mentioned, I also have a tag to share for Michele's challenge at Tag Tuesday. Her theme is Farm Animals


I used a chicken die and some black paper to make these silhouette hens. The background  sky is inked with 2 shades of blue, and the ground is a piece of brown packing paper that I marked up with a brown colored pencil.   I freehand painted the sun and the clouds. Then I stamped the quote using a birthday stamp set, and since they used the word spring, I created some flowers using  dots of pink paint and a green marker for the stems along the horizon line. 

And finally, just to share but not for any particular challenge, here's the front and the back of the letter A in my Christmas alphabet book. This is the project  made in the old phone directory. 


I went with A for the admit one ticket I added. Since it's the first page, you are now admitted to see the rest of the book.

Here's the back. I was very disappointed that the gold marker I had used on the cups smeared when I used some matte media to attach the cups and the teapot to my page.  But I was not so disappointed  that I went and redid them. Perhaps the tea drinkers were just messy and the gold paint they'd been crafting with was still wet on their fingers when they went to grab a cup of tea. When they went to wipe it off the china it just smeared everywhere. (And I can't say that has ever happened to me-grin 😏.)


Maybe I should splatter some gold paint to make it less obvious? What do you think?

Now you 're familiar with A, B and C. There's a whole lot of letters left to go.

That's all for me today. Have a great weekend.

 

17 comments:

Tom said...

...I don't feel like much of a spring chicken these days.

Hels said...

Look at the horizon and keep flying :)

Angie's Recipes said...

Beautiful artwork, Erika. I love esp. the spring chicken one.

David M. Gascoigne, said...

I would imagine that the tea drinkers were having such a rollicking good time that their tea cups jiggled on the saucers and a little liquid was spilled. You should see what happened when they opened the bourbon!

Jeanie said...

I love how you capture Christmas in your art!

Mae Travels said...

The old time airplanes make a neat collage! Nice images.
best, mae at maefood.blogspot.com

Iris Flavia said...

Too late to make up after admitting ;-)
And isn´t art made of these coincidences, too? I love them all!
I wish you a happy Saturday, here it warmed up to fridge temps! Hugs

Divers and Sundry said...

I like your chicken family :) I'm thinking this isn't so much smeared ... I had to embiggen the image to see what you meant. This is the artsy design of the pattern. :)

Divers and Sundry said...

I like your chicken family :) I'm thinking this isn't so much smeared ... I had to embiggen the image to see what you meant. This is the artsy design of the pattern. :)

carol l mckenna said...

Great start to your Christmas ABC books ~ lovely art work and so creative ~ hugs,

Wishing you good health, laughter and love in your days,
A ShutterBug Explores,
aka (A Creative Harbor)

Christine said...

Lovely pages

MELODY JACOB said...

Hello! It sounds like you're embarking on a creative and artistic weekend. The idea of creating a new journal page for Wendy's "Above Us Only Sky" theme at Art Journal Journey sounds intriguing.

The Happy Whisk said...

I LOVE the clouds, sun and sky!!!!!

CJ Kennedy said...

A cold has knocked me down. No spring chicken here. Love the teacups.

Lowcarb team member said...

I enjoyed seeing all of your lovely art.
Happy weekend wishes.

All the best Jan

Aimeslee Winans said...

Wiw, Erika, so much good art in one post! What a great aircraft sky page, using the glitter medium is cool as are those gear clouds. And more great clouds on your spring chicken tag. The filofax pages are such pretty collage, love all the red on the front and the teacups on the back. I like the smearing, looks intentional to age it. My opine: gold splatters won't hurt but the page looks great as is. Have a good week, xoxo

Neet said...

I think the teacups are fine, I would just leave them.
Love your letter A page in your new journal and the hens in your tag.
Good idea and I agree with you about the cog clouds, I hadn't noticed the cogs at first, just took them as clouds. That's a great sentiment, especially for that page. Well done you on so much for us to enjoy.
Hugs, Neet xx