Monday, December 18, 2023

T Stands for More This and That

 Hi everyone. It's the last T Day before the Christmas holiday. I hope everyone who celebrated Hanukkah had a lovely celebration. This month seems to be slipping by me, and I think I might have missed it. 😕 I always think I have so much time in December, and then here we are, it is already the 18th of the month.

Monday we  had a lot of heavy rain and strong winds.    The power went out just after 7AM on Monday morning, and  unfortunately the  generator’s easy start battery was dead. Not that I like to play with generator as it’s not one of those automatic starting ones   You have to switch things in the circuit box and follow about 10 steps to start it. Long story short, I spent a lot of the day in the dark  (since there wasn’t much light coming from the outside today).  My husband did come home early, and he had the new battery so  we are now running on generator power.  There’s  many outages  and my road is closed to do flooding, so I’m not sure we’ll have power back before sometime Tuesday. We'll see.  

We had a little break in the rain, and I went down to get the mail and check on the condition of the driveway.  (It's gravel and a hill, and  the good news is it held up.😀) This first photo is the water running down the side of the road and going through the culvert that goes underneath the end of my driveway.


And right above this you can see the rushing water as well as water that is leaching out of the ground.

We've got a bit of water in part of the basement too, not a lot, but just enough to make the laundry room floor wet.  I have every extra towel I own on the floor soaking it up. Luckily it's not tons of water, and this rain should be stopping soon after I write this Monday evening. 

That's enough about the rain. Last week I went out to lunch twice. Here's my 2 views for T over at   Bleubeard's and Elizabeth's blog for this week. 

One day it was a friend's birthday, so a few of us went out to help her celebrate.


Another day I was going for a long afternoon walk,  and I managed to talk my hubby into taking me out for lunch before I went. (He didn't need a lot of arm twisting. 😏)


I was craving a tuna melt. Every now and again I just have to have one of those sandwiches. 


I had a quiet weekend so I started some holiday cookie making. 



It was marathon cookie dough making season. Some of the doughs had to be chilled so they didn't get made into actual cookies right then. Even though I washed the mixer bowl and other cooking supplies as I went, I still managed to take over the kitchen. 

For those of you who like kitchen tools, back in November I bought this nifty little zester. ( I wrote this before I saw Elizabeth's post, but I guess great minds do think alike- 😏-hee-hee.)


It fits nicely in the palm of your hand and has a small well to catch the zest. I finally tried it out when I was zesting some oranges for my ginger cookie recipe. I give it high marks for being easy to use, making  zest, and not letting my fingers get scrapped.👍

I also want thank those of  you who I received holiday cards from.  I’ll share cards  next week. I am behind on making my cards, and without light nothing was done today.  I am planning on New Years cards at this point. 

And finally, my latest sweater view as I work my way row by row around the yoke. 


I haven't gotten quite as much done this past week since a couple of nights I was too tired to knit.

That's all for me this week. For those of you that only visit for T, not only have a great T day and week ahead, but if you celebrate, have a lovely Christmas holiday too. And of course, for everyone, had a wonderful T day and week ahead. 






27 comments:

hels said...

Your zester is very clever. I, on the other hand, have had to scrape down the side of the lemon or orange and lose half the treasured product. So many thanks!

Carola Bartz said...

The sweater will be stunning when it's finished, Erika! I really like what it looks like now. Color stranding is challenging since you really have to pay attention. I like the zester - I often zest lemons and just use a regular zester and a small bowl, but this looks much more practical. I haven't made a single cookie yet and I doubt I will do any before Christmas. Your tuna melt looks delicious, too - sometimes we just have these cravings and why not satisfy them? Have a lovely T day!

Tom said...

...that sweater is gorgeous. ☃️ 🎄 ❄️ 🎅🏼

Mae Travels said...

The WASHINGTON POST recently had an article on kitchen gadgets and a lemon zester was one of the only ones I don't have. Your zester looks neat -- I just use the fine grater on my box grater. (I also don't have a mandolin but that's because I decided long ago that I'm too accident prone and would lose at least one finger if I had that dangerous tool).

Your sweater is fabulous.

best,mae at maefood.blogspot.com

Angie's Recipes said...

I really love the pattern of your sweater. Well done, Erika.

Iris Flavia said...

This is really a bit crazy. Never did we have a loss of power here in Germany. Nor do we have generators, well, makes sense ;-)
In the Outback we had a gas latern and wood fire, so I can do without electricity... there. Here I could not work!
Hope the water is not smelly! Ingo had that twice in his old apartment, yuck.
Nice to see you! :-)
Cute zester, he smiles! And is as orange as my Monkey-peeler. It´s a monkey that peels carrots etc (before you think I am a cruel person!).
Yes, card post to come up, too!
Your sweater is turning out cozy and beautiful!
To a warm T-Day, hugs!

Lisca said...

I'm sorry you are having such awful weather and that you are without power. At least you have a generator.
I like your zester. Nice and small. Mine is long like a long knife.
Oh your Icelandic jumper is so beautiful! Well done you! It's nearly finished. Stunning!
Hugs and happy Christmas,
Lisca

ashok said...

Have a wonderful Christmas season

David M. Gascoigne, said...

That storm is quite a beast. Stay warm and stay dry - if you can! All the best - David

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

You definitely had rain. I got cold just looking at that rushing icy water.

Celebrating with your friend was a great way to share a drink fot T Tuesday, Erika. That was one HUGE dessert! She certainly looks happy. Maybe it was the dessert, the friendship, or that Margareta she was drinking.

I don't think I've ever seen or had a tuna melt, but it looks good. Thanks for sharing your various drinks and your week with us for T this Tuesday, dear friend.

Sorry, Erika. I fell asleep writing this. Six hours later I'm awake and in need of coffee.

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

OMGosh. I forgot about the zester. I suspect you can also use it to grate nutmeg and garlic. It's cute at least.

DVArtist said...

Wow! You were busy. We are in storm mode but didn't have to use the gennie. I love the sweater. Very nice indeed. I also want that zester. LOL Have a nice day today.

Empire of the Cat said...

Wow that is a lot of water, sorry to hear it got into your basement. I hope everything dries out soon. We have had similar rain and windy weather here and of course my house has been leaking but not as much since I had some things fixed a few weeks ago. What is that thing on top of the sandwich, is it an onion ring? I bet it smells lovely in your kitchen with all the cookie baking. I won't be baking much this year, I would be in danger of eating it all haha but just one or two favourites. I love your jumper, it looks really great and very warm. Will you be finished for xmas? Speaking of cards, I did post yours but of course it will likely be late now since I posted everything much too late due to flu etc. Happy T Day! Elle xx

Divers and Sundry said...

That's a lot of rain! I wanna come over and play in your kitchen with you 😃 I love that little zester. It would take up much less space than the one I have. Happy T Tuesday!

jinxxxygirl said...

Erika.. living in West Texas i always love to hear about the rain.. :) We had some last week and some more chances at the end of this week... Everybody around here has rain gauges and could tell you we got about 2 1/2 inches...lol Which is not too shabby.. Yours is a tuna melt... mines is a Chicken Fried Steak... not good for you but once in awhile i just have to have one.. lol
My baking will start soon too.. Mixing up the doughs one day and baking another sounds like a good plan to me.. Would make the whole process alot more enjoyable i think.. This year i'm volunteering to make some Tigerbutter for the Elks Lodge.. We have a military base here and not all soldiers get to go home so the Elks are doing a little something for them.. Your sweater is looking lovely. You are so talented to be able to do that.. I cannot imagine using two needles at once.. my one crochet needle can be difficult..lol Happy T day! Hugs! deb

*Vicki* said...

Lots of rain there! It's just cold here so far, but snow will soon come! Looks like lots of fun things going on this month! Love the zester idea and your sweater is awesome! I need one! LOL Hope you have a beautiful Holiday Season my friend!

R's Rue said...

Have a lovely holiday.
www.rsrue.blogspot.com

Valerie-Jael said...

Hi Erika, sorry about all that water. Heike's basement is flooded, too, and stinks! We have had a lot of rain and the Rhine is full, if more rain comes, as forecast, it will be flooding soon. I'm sure you will make lovely food and baked goods for Christmas. Have a great holiday, hugs to you all and the doggies, Valerie

CJ Kennedy said...

So sorry the storm was wild up your way. Lots of places were without electricity. There were trees down all over my town. We lost electricity, late last night, but it came back on in an hour or so. Sorry about the water in your basement. Lunch out would make up for it for me.Your sweater is going to be beautiful. Happy T Day

Aimeslee Winans said...

Oh Lordy, so sorry about all the rain. It's missed us but the next wave is gonna get us for Christmas weekend, probably. According to Space City Weather, they don't really know. So we are hoping it's a blow over as Honey and Son-in-love want to play golf on Saturday. It'll be warm enough, rain or not. You have made great progress on your sweater and I bet your cookies are delish. Now, I'm wondering what is sitting on that tuna melt and my guess is an onion ring. Tuna sounds good right now, lol. Hope you are drying out and have lights by now. XOX

Violetta said...

We had also much rain here...melted away all the snow that had fallen two weeks ago and turned everything into a winterwonderland. Hope the rain at you stops and you got electric power again.
Have a good and fine christmas time.
All the best
Violetta

The Happy Whisk said...

December is slipping past me as well.
Glad your hubby came home early.
We lost power many times last winter.
Glad it's not a ton of basement water.
I love the little zester. Too cute!
Got my first stand mixer last year.
What an amazing tool.
Happy Christmas!

peppylady (Dora) said...

Sweater looks so cozy and warm.

Neet said...

That sweater looks lovely and I can well imagine you wearing it, it is so you.
Love the photos of you baking, I was busy making mince pies yesterday and burnt myself on hot mincemeat as they came out of the oven - ouch! Seeing the other photos of you eating out made me feel a little peckish and realise I need my breakfast so I will leave it there.
Hugs, Neet xx

Jeanie said...

NOW I know. And loving that zester -- and your sweater -- WOW~!

I'll have a King ARthur story for you soon....not a good one.

pearshapedcrafting said...

We're lucky not to get many power failures where we live! Glad hubby could get your generator going, we have had plenty of rain though!your sweater is looking great! Loving your grater. Tuna melts are so good, thinking I need one soon too! Belated Happy T Day, Chrisx

Aimeslee Winans said...

Merry Merry Christmas to you and yours! xoxo