Thursday, December 14, 2023

Thursday Holiday Art

 Hi everyone.

  It’s another Thursday, and I’m here with another journal page for Wendy’s  Above Us Only Sky  at Art Journal Journey.


Here is the back of the letter D page  my alphabet/ old phone directory Christmas journal. D in this case stands for December, deer, daybreak, and what looks like  will be a beautiful day.

I am still so impressed at how well this old paper is holding up to all the media I put on it.   It is way better than the paper in many of my modern journals. 😏This time I used grey watercolor paints for the sky, yellow watercolor paint and yellow glitter glue for the sun, and white paint for the snowy ground. Since it's still not bright outside at daybreak, I washed the white snow with a bit of grey and yellow watercolor paints.

I drew in the landscape with a Sharpie, colored the trees with some markers and used a white pen to add some snowy boughs to them. I then added the acetate frame. The deer is a die cut made with some thick brown paper. I used a bit of brown marker (dotting it) to give the fur some depth, and I used a white Posca paint pen as a black Stabilo pencil to create the tail. The blue ornament at the top is from a punch out image book. Finally I added some sparkle tape along the top to cover the holes from where I pulled the page out of the old phone number directory. I stitched across it to add a little more texture.

Finally I thought the sky needed a bit of morning sparkle, so I added a few dots of silver glitter glue, and I cut the December word out of a stamped quote and added it to my page.

And here’s the flip side of the letter D, which also has a bit of sky related design.


I used some watercolor paint and some white acrylic paint. Then I added the acetate frame, the Lynne Perrella stamped image, a die cut star as well as a bit of felt reindeer trim. The quote is stamped, and to cover the holes along the top, I used some sparkle tape and then I added a bit of stitching. 

It's a chilly day in New Hampshire before a weekend warm up, Our snow has been gone for a bit, and I'm wondering if we'll have a white Christmas. Unless there is a storm next week, I'd say not.  We shall see.
Thanks for stopping by and have a lovely day or evening depending on when you visit.





11 comments:

Anne (cornucopia) said...

Fantastic artwork! - Anne (Cornucopia)

Tom said...

...have a jolly day. ☃️ 🎄 ❄️ 🎅🏼

hels said...

The deer is an intelligent, sensitive animal. I hope he/she handles the cold, snowy weather well.

Neet said...

We had a similar day to that yesterday, not so today. A lovely page - the reverse side too. I love how you have used something different for your journal and it is brilliant how it stands up to different mediums. Well done on another great page.
Hugs, Neet xx

Christine said...

Lovely pages

Mae Travels said...

I like your reindeer — I’ve been researching reindeer and my next blog post will be about this very appealing animal and its mythical responsibilities for Santa.
best, mae at maefood.blogspot.com

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

Erika, thanks for the question on my blog post. Humorist, writer, radio personality Jean Shepherd died in 1999 at age 78. The blog has been updated to include this info. I always appreciate when bloggers ask a question, but I don't reply directly in the blog.

No much snow here, just a brief squall early last night, but it looked pretty and as it was in the 20s overnight some was still on the ground earlier today. We're going to VT for a couple of days next week, maybe we'll have some snow there.

Aimeslee Winans said...

I like the sun reflection on the snow. Great front and back pages. I am not surprised one bit those filofax pages are tough. Same as pages in old books and their bindings. The older I get, the more evil I think mass production has been to us, especially our food. Maybe as physical books become more and more rare, they'll go back to producing them the older ways. I wouldn't bet on it though, I've forgotten how to be idealistic, lol. XOX

Divers and Sundry said...

There's definitely a feeling of Christmas! :)

Jeanie said...

We're definitely in green Christmas mode here but I heard a storm is coming on the coast.

Gillena Cox said...

Nice pages!!! Happy Holidays

Much♡love