Friday, December 1, 2023

December

Hi everyone. Happy new month to you. Can you believe we're in the last month of 2023?

Since it is now December we have a new challenge at Art Journal Journey Before I get to that, let me say thank you again to Jo for hosting last month and thank you everyone who joined Jo's challenge. Nature is always a fun challenge to participate in.

For December we have another nature type of challenge. Only this time you'll need to bend your head back and look up. Our new host is the talented Wendy; you probably know from her blog Wendy's Art and Craft Journal. Wendy has picked the new challenge using a line from a Beatles' song

Above Us Only Sky



I decided to start my sky views with a night scene. I had a page in my journal where I had wiped off extra paint from my paint brush a couple of times. I thought the dark would work great for a night sky. I didn't want to leave the bordering part of this page white, so I used some grey and light brown watercolor paint to darken that bright white..

The owl and the branch are cut from an old Sizzix die. I cut them out of white paper.  I then used markers, pens, and paint pens to color the pieces. I had some plastic eyes (and luckily I had 2 that matched) that I added to the owl. I next took some assorted star rubber stamps and filled my background. I also had a few star gemstones that I glued down. I finished my page with a couple of  rubber stamped phrases . There's a sneaky little Night Owl phrase under the owl, and then there's the quote.

Before I sign off I just want to remind everyone that Art Journal Journey is a journaling challenge. We accept any type of journaling, but not cards, tags, ATC's, etc. 

We hope you're inspired by Wendy's sky theme, and that you'll join Wendy's challenge this month.

And since it's Friday, I'm also linking this post to Nicole's Friday Face Off and Gillena's Friday Lunch Break.

And have a lovely weekend also.





 

29 comments:

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I like how you also used stars in your first entry. However, your stars were really better done than mine. And you included a cute owl, which meant you were able to incorporate even more challenges. Thanks for this great first entry using Wendy's theme at AJJ, dear Erika.

WendyK said...

Fabulous page, and the owl is just right with those beautiful eyes. Thank you for a great first entry. Have a super December, hugs Wendy.

pearshapedcrafting said...

Oh Erika! What lovely owl, such beautiful big eyes! A great start for Wendy's AJJ theme, hugs, Chrisx

Gillena Cox said...

Oh Wow!!! Fantastic response to the new prompt.
Happy December

Much♡love

Valerie-Jael said...

Love your night sky with owl, fabulous page. Happy weekend, hugs, Valerie

Iris Flavia said...

A very, very beautiful recycled page. True words, too, and as fun side-note: Today I resumed my book on owls.
To a great December and weekend, hugs

Tom said...

...be wise and keep looking up!

Angie's Recipes said...

Such a pretty page, Erika.

sirkkis said...

The words tell the truth, and your illustration is wonderful, especially the Owl's eyes!
I hope your December starts under the good stars, Erika.
Have a happy weekend, my friend xx

Debra She Who Seeks said...

Your great collage is a wonderful interpretation of the song lyric!

Jamie Ghione said...

I hear you. I can't believe it's already December. I've already begun decorating for Christmas.

Christine said...

Lovely page Erika.

DVArtist said...

Happy December to you. This is fabulous!!!! I love how you brought the branch out around the tree. The owl is marvelous. Thankyou for sharing with FFO and have a nice weekend.

*Vicki* said...

Oh my goodness those eyes!! I'm in love with your owl and what a wonderful starry background for him! LOVE that quote very much!! Beautifully done on this theme! P.S. I hope you received my message!

Tracey@Hotchpotchcreations said...

A grand AJJ theme of Wendy's and your page really does fit perfect. The created tree and owl with it's big wise eyes looks amazing. The addition of the stars gives your page a great dimension, I love it.
Wishing you a super creative weekend Hugs TRacey xx

Empire of the Cat said...

Love this one, your owl is so cute sitting their on his branch enjoying the evening air. I spotted the night owl underneath, and love the quote also. Going to be a fun month!

peppylady (Dora) said...

The wise ole owl, hardly anyone says, wise young owl.
Coffee is on.

Lowcarb team member said...

A nice night scene with the beautiful owl.

Wishing you a happy month of December.

All the best Jan

CJ Kennedy said...

Very cool page. I really like the owl eyes. Any chance of you getting to see the Aurora tonight? It's raining here and we were just on the very edge so probably wouldn't have gotten to see it.

Hels said...

I enjoyed the sneaky little Night Owl phrase under the owl, but I am not sure the quote is always correct. Sometimes the darkest nights are... just... very dark :)

Juvenal Nunes said...

Espero que os votos que deseja para o fim de semana sejam extensíveis ao longo de todo o mês.
Abraço amigo.
Juvenal Nunes

Jeanie said...

I love that quote. And the owl is perfect for showing it off.

MELODY JACOB said...

I really love this one! Your owl looks so adorable sitting on his branch and enjoying the evening breeze.

David M. Gascoigne, said...

Since time immemorial people have been obsessed with owls in one form or another, and not always to the benefit of the birds. Thank goodness we now cherish them for their beauty and their role in a healthy ecosystem. Once you include an owl in your art you have my attention! On my recent trip to Cuba we had great encounters with four species. Quite wonderful! All the best - David

Anne (cornucopia) said...

This is gorgeous! I love this art piece.

carol l mckenna said...

Wonderful art work with the starry sky and sweet owl ~ delightful ~ thanks,


Wishing you good health, laughter and love in your days,
A ShutterBug Explores,
aka (A Creative Harbor)

Divers and Sundry said...

Happy December! I like that sentiment.

Aimeslee Winans said...

What a great way to create from the off-painting. The quote is perfect for your scene. xoxo

Neet said...

This has to be a favourite. I love the way you have depicted the tree with the owl sitting foremost. That owl is brilliant - love the eyes on him.
Hugs, Neet xx